Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 year old and a 11 year old who need to hunt with me. I need to get them each a rifle but the budget is limiting. I have a co-worker who loaned me a gun that seems like some kind of military rifle be also provided about 500 rounds of ammo. The gun has no scope it is open sighted. It is stamped "Russian M44 7.62 X 54R" It looks to be in decent condition (safe to fire)But what is it and what kind of effective range should I expect it to have for my son to hunt. Also open sights are adjusted up and down no windage (Correct)???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I settled on a Mossberg model 100ATR for my 15 year old son. went to the range today and sighted it in once I was sure it was homed I handed him the Gun and a Box of shells and stood back and watched. He shot at two separate targets from 100 yards. Here is a picture of his last 5 shots. I don't think he will be lighting any matches but if a deer steps out we could just be lighting the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
actually pretty good shooting with the new rig. How's his shoulder feeling? :yucky:
I asked he said it felt fine I shot the gun a few times really not much recoil... less than i expected I would compare it to a 20 ga. He is bugging me to go bak to the range he enjoyed shooting it. He was actually awarded a youth hunt with Westar energy here in Kansas.

Supposed to be a guided hunt on their company managed ranch. he will get to shoot on their range saturday so they can "approve" his rifle and sighting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.