Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son informed me tonight that I can order 1 firearm through his work at a 50% discount. Marlin, Browning, Remington, Savage, Winchester. No handguns though. I think I will take him up on the offer and need to make the decision on what brand, model? If you woul like to give some input I would greatly appreciate it. One model I like is the Browning X-bolt Hunter in 325 wsm. I don't have a truly big bore rifle and think this might fill the slot. Maybe a Remington 700 cdl in 300wm? Just my current thoughts. I even thought about the Marlin in 444 as I sold one many years ago like a dummy and a 375 mint Winchester. :ranting: I have some time to think it out.......:confused:

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I 'm not sure if they are on the list of available purchases. I hate to turn down a good deal especially when it's a firearm. I'm sure something will catch my eye> :rolleyes: While on the subject, something I've always wanted was an old double barrel. LC Smith, Fox, Parker, ect. Nice clean upland game double that's older than me but in better condition. :lol:

·
Registered
788 Posts
What would be the use of the new rifle? Just deer, or any heavy hunting? A Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 is always nice, or even the 444 Marlin. How about a Remington 700 in .375 H&H Magnum so you'll be set for any game on earth.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Personally i wouldnt even think of the Remington over the Browning these days.While Remington once made quality weapons there custom shop doesnt even impress me anymore.Hm i believe your son works at Dicks so i would also look at some Tikkas imported by Beretta.Great shooters with a hammer forged barrel made by Sako_Otherwise the Browning all the way.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments, it really won't be a deer rifle per say, I have more than I will ever use again, just have collected too many, but I just hate to turn down a good buy. Heck I'm not opposed to going small on a really nice piece of wood. I only have 1 grandchild so far and she is only 1.5 but something for her from her granddad? I have a standard grade browning semi-auto 22, they have really nice higher end walnut grades that might be something for her? Right now as you can see I don't have a clue...:no:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Have you considered getting a nice shotgun???

My Son is now into shooting Trap on the High School Trap Team and if I had 50% off I would be tempted to buy a Benelli 12ga Semi Auto. They are awful expensive at around 1400.xx but for 700.xx it would be a great buy. With a 50% discount you would want to buy something on the high side pricewise to maximize your discount. Just my 2 cents...

Karl

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Karl, I do have a few shotguns. I have a nice unfired Browning SXS a couple of Ithica's, Remingtons, another inexpensive SXS, Winchester model 12, Mossberg. I don't have an over and under double, but big bucks for them, while they are some of the best looking shotguns I never had a great desire to purchase one. We'll see something will hit me and I'll say ok that one.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Any and all of the rifles mentioned would be a great addition to anyone's arsenal, and I own many of them. The Tikka 3 Lite is my newest and, without doubt, the most accurate I've ever had. It is guaranteed to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds. - and it does that pretty consistently, if I do my part. As for caliber - it sounds like you're thinking med to big bore - I'd go with the 300WSM. It is a great round, equalling the 300Win. Mag in velocity and energy while using LESS powder. A very efficient caliber! Anyway, you have a "dilemma" that any of us would like to have. Good luck with your choice whatever it is.

·
Registered
852 Posts
In your case I would look Sako instead of Tikka

I currently own a real clean Sako bolt action and I have seen alot of Tikkas shooting at the range. I agree that a Tikka is very accurate and alot of Rifle for the money. The only thing is that with 50% off you could have a Sako for the regular price of a Tikka. There is no comparison between the two in Fit/Finish. The Sako is a work of Art with a wood stock, the Tikka is a working Rifle.

Karl

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I agree with Karl if a Sako is on the list jump at it with that type of discount.One other rifle i think you might like HM that i just purchased that is all wood and steel is the Thompson Icon great rifle.Good luck just trying to complicate things alittle more for you.The Tikkas are great too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.