Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with deer season winding down, down here in Fl , that means time to chase hogs. here is one a buddy and i got on some public land. with 12 guage 00 buckshot. that is my buddy in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ran into one earlier that morning. A VERY large boar. absorbed a load of 3"-- 00 buckshot at about 18 yds, and just looked at me and walked off. leaving me standing there with my jaw on the ground. lol. he took a step just as i sqeezed off my shot, the whole load caught him in the battle plate ( plate of cartilage that the large hogs grow, pretty much covers their vitals) didn't even draw blood. have the slug gun sighted in now. let him try that this weekend. lol

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
You got me crackin up after reading that post.

Its amazing that he took that shot at that close of distance. I would have probably crapped myself. Let us know how he handles it this weekend.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got me crackin up after reading that post.

Its amazing that he took that shot at that close of distance. I would have probably crapped myself. Let us know how he handles it this weekend.

happened yesterday, and i'm still laughing about it. lol

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Now what happens if the hog gets angry after the shot bounces off of him? Will they turn on you? Or is there a difference between a wounded hog and shot hog with no wound?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now what happens if the hog gets angry after the shot bounces off of him? Will they turn on you? Or is there a difference between a wounded hog and shot hog with no wound?
after that shot, he absorbed----i was hoping he would just go away. lol. if he was to turn and charge-- 2 choices , get up a tree or put four more rounds of 00 in his face. lol. will either stop him or turn him hopefully. my experiences have been, most times i've been charged it has been the smaller hogs 150 lbs to @200 lbs. the very large ones just seem to want to leave.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just to fill y'all in on why we where toting shotguns. some of our WMAs are only open for small game. hog can be hunted during small game season---but with a shotgun or .22 mag .

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gonna give it a try tomorrow. see if i can find that big boy again. and introduce him to my slug gun. lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been trying. this public land hunting is rough. lots of people out chasing hogs around also. lol. it is funny that the state considers them small game, and can be hunted during small game season. never have a load of 7 1/2 s in my gun for tree rats. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts