Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again i want to say thanks for all the help for the newbie. Big Buck Sports in my area has a sale on Nikon scops this weekend, i have narrowed it down to a Prostaff 3-9x50 (bdc) or a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 (bdc). Is the Buckmaster worth an addiditonal $100?

Thanks

G

·
when the buckmaster came out it got very good reviews. like a mid line scope at a bottom line price. but that was about 7 years ago maybe. don't own one and never priced one just heard its was very good for the $$

·
Registered
602 Posts
i like the 50mm for the light gathering, like to be able to hunt right up to legal shooting times. just in case that biggun waits until then to move. also down here in FL, we can hunt hogs on private property at night, but with no artificial light. a nice bright full moon and that 50 mm Bushnell has gotten a few nice hogs.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Prostaff 3x9x50.. Im like kemster, I like the 50 better than the extra "zoom".

I just picked up the same buckmaster scope your considering from one of my hunting friends at a good price. Its a nice scope i just think since I never take long shots on deer (always hunting in the woods) having the extra "zoom" will not matter to me. All my shots usually get taken on the lowest setting of a 3-9.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The 50mm glass will give you better light at low light conditions. I figure when do I see more bucks 12 noon or the first or last 10 minutes of shooting time?
All the suggestions have good merits!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I know the glass should be better in the buckmaster but I really cant tell a big difference between it and the prostaff.

I kinda look at it like how cameras have increased in quality over the years. The difference between 10 mp and 12 mp is not huge. We probably cant even tell a difference with the naked eye, making some of our technology overkill on certain products. If someone walked up to me and said they would trade me a prostaff 3-9x50 with $100 cash for my buckmaster 4.5-14x40 i think I would have to make that trade.

G

·
I know the glass should be better in the buckmaster but I really cant tell a big difference between it and the prostaff.

I kinda look at it like how cameras have increased in quality over the years. The difference between 10 mp and 12 mp is not huge. We probably cant even tell a difference with the naked eye, making some of our technology overkill on certain products. If someone walked up to me and said they would trade me a prostaff 3-9x50 with $100 cash for my buckmaster 4.5-14x40 i think I would have to make that trade.
good way to look at it

·
Registered
852 Posts
Which scope??

Be careful a scope with a 50mm objective is 25% bigger diameter then the one with a 40mm. On some rifles you will not have adaquate clearance without using high rings. I personally would not want over a 40 mm objective. The largest scope I currently have has an objective of 36 or 38 and I sure wouldn't want a 50. The larger the scope, the more it will also change the balance point of your rifle.

Karl

·
Registered
824 Posts
Be careful a scope with a 50mm objective is 25% bigger diameter then the one with a 40mm. On some rifles you will not have adaquate clearance without using high rings. I personally would not want over a 40 mm objective. The largest scope I currently have has an objective of 36 or 38 and I sure wouldn't want a 50. The larger the scope, the more it will also change the balance point of your rifle.

Karl
The above is something that has to be considered when mounting the scope to the rifle. Decided to drop a 40mm scope on an older rifle this season and it just barely mounted. I have difficulties sliding a rifle bore patch under the front end of the scope because it's just that tight of a fit.

Just thought I'd add my $.02 worth in this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts