Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had always beleived that private land was better to hunt that public land. In southern Michigan land has become very hard to get access for hunting. In conversations with land owners, mostly farmers, it usually comes down to either leasing the land or, family and friends already have dibbs.
So now I have found some state land nearby that is widely known. I have been hunting it for two years. Suprisingly I think alot of writers are correct about the land being under rated. I have had oppurtunities the last two years to take a whitetail. No real monsters yet even though the signs are very encouraging.
Even on opening day of gun season the gun shots were minimal, with only two other trucks in my area. On private lands and surrounding private land it is much more busy.
So going forward, I will take what I have learned over the last two years and build on that information this year. Over the next the next four months I will update my findings, good and bad!
I cannot wait to get back in the tree stand again!!!

G

·
it would be tairrrib

it would be tairrribly boirng, dahling! (αλλά καιÏ�ός να γÏ�άψεις και για τον θείο -as in "divine", not "uncle" (though i wish! ;-))- morrissey, δεν νομίζεις; ειδικά μετά την Ï…Ï€Î*Ï�οχη ωδή στον Ï€Ï�ίγκηπα (εγώ;! κόλλημα με τον ασλάνογλου;! jamais!) - που μ'Î*βαλε να κατεβάσω τα cd του (τότε αγόÏ�αζα ακόμη ;-))[δε θα το πιστÎ*ψεις, αλλά το blogspot θÎ*λει να γÏ�άψω από κάτω: yerrmnmy!!! το ξÎ*Ï�ω, it was MY fucking idea! LOL] (μπα! τελικά "με είδε" που το κοÏ�όιδευα, και τα άλλαξε αιφνιδίως! i kid u NOT!)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
state lands

in ny especially archery if ur willing to strap a climber on the lack of hunters make it easy to find great spots.now it takes a little more sweat but its their for anybody willing to put in the effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Good! I did just spring for a Loggy Boyou climber. I had used other climbers, but they were steel and you can imagine. How about some input to attractant scents and calls. My intentions now are maybe some less popular scents like Acorn. Calls and rattling probably none.
What have you guy's experienced?

G

·
i think calls scent and such successes are directly related to deer density. the higher the better they work. i am of the opinion that if that smell wasn't there yesterday it puts deer on alret. so i don't use scents much. maybe just a mock scrape or hot up a real scrape. scent control is my biggest thing. i do and use everything to try and control my scent. rattling works pre rut and they say post but i've not seen it in the post rut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In upstate NY where im from it seems like there is far more state land than hunters. Now a days people are just lazy and do not want to take the time and effort it takes to put in to scout these areas, let alone hunt them. They all want to just hunt fields and wait for deer to come out just before dark. The small group i hunt w/ hunt some of the most remote state land around us and take atleast 1 if not up to 4 what we consider nice rack bucks. We also have 480 acres of private land which we are trying to manage a little better, last year we had 12 bucks on camera, only taking 2 of those. Hopefully not being shot on neighboring properties, getting hit by cars, etc, we should have a couple really big bucks this year, but it takes a few years of letting the crotch horns and basket rack 6s and 8s go. Hopefully the patience will pay off.

G

·
In upstate NY where im from it seems like there is far more state land than hunters. Now a days people are just lazy and do not want to take the time and effort it takes to put in to scout these areas, let alone hunt them. They all want to just hunt fields and wait for deer to come out just before dark. The small group i hunt w/ hunt some of the most remote state land around us and take atleast 1 if not up to 4 what we consider nice rack bucks. We also have 480 acres of private land which we are trying to manage a little better, last year we had 12 bucks on camera, only taking 2 of those. Hopefully not being shot on neighboring properties, getting hit by cars, etc, we should have a couple really big bucks this year, but it takes a few years of letting the crotch horns and basket rack 6s and 8s go. Hopefully the patience will pay off.
:thumbup:good luck. i hope it works out for ya. welcome to the club

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing our enjoyments of hunting and everything that goes with it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here in the Black Hills, with the exception of the year that my boyfriend's kids came to visit and hunt, we have only seen one other hunter out of his vehicle and in the woods. We hunt public land and there are plenty of deer here. We see alot of road hunters. People are getting lazier. The best times I've ever had were when I was sitting in the woods(whether or not I shot something). I see lots of animals and have lots peace and quiet.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Speaking of the best times in the woods: a few years ago in PA we had a late ML season ice storm and everything was coated, when I crested a hill just on the edge of the woods the sun met me at the top and the mountain seemed to glisten in silver/white light. It was an awesome sight. I think back sometimes, that was one of those lifetime moments when you realize just how small we are and how wonderous God's Nature is! I wounder how many others got to see share it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would prefer private land, my own in fact. much easier to control many factors that can affect your hunt. and grow the deer you want to hunt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
to mwil40

Last year I tried using a doe decoy during bow season along with some doe in heat urine. It did atract a three point but he just seemed to be confused.But without a doubt I believe you should have a grunt call with you every time you go out.It has not only called deer to me but will also put the does at ease when they are in your sight.I know from experience.Just be careful with the bucks when they are close.It can make them a little jumpy,for defensive reasons I guess.But it will call them from a distance to see who's in their area.Grunt call,gotta have one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts