Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a debate for everyone.Is it right for a bow hunter to pick his bow up a few days before the season and go hunting.If he makes a bad shot is that bad luck or was he totally wrong for not preparing.Happens all the time just looking for some thoughts on this,i know where i stand.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I don't ever promote Bow hunting without practicing from season to season.
when I learned to hunt with a Bow I learned from Fred Bear through his books and videos.
I became a very good instinctive shooter, that was many years ago using a recurve bow
but even today If I were using a recurve I'd still feel confident in my ability to shoot
well enough to hunt without much practice BUT I would still practice.
With todays advancements in Bow technology
I now rely heavily on todays faster harder hitting compound bows with sights for greater accuracy
but no matter how confident I become in my shooting ability I know I still need to practice year after year after year.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I really couldnt answer that personally, I have never stopped shooting since last season ended.

But I think you need to put yourself through a battery of different shooting positions and scenarios such as you might experience in a real hunting situation. not prepairing for the season properly and making a bad shot is not bad luck, it is bad judgement.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we are all in agreement on this one but this irritates me i see this at work guys pull the bow out form under the bed then say there going bowhunting.when i started shooting it took me a yr of everyday practice to learn backtension and musclememory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts