Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love to use my 45 Cal muzzleloader but I use a sabot which shoots amazingly well considering who's shooting it. I use the 200 grain Hornady with the plastic sabot. The problem I have is when they enter the deer they go all different directions and render the shot not as effective as I would like. The sabots only go to 200 grain but the powerbelts go to 300 grains in 45 cal. I have the choice of using my 50 or using the powerbelts in 45 cal. Maybe I just need to take some powerbelts to the range but before I do, I'm sure that others of you have wrestled with the sabot powerbelt thing. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. My ******* is not at this time leaning toward powerbelts but for a deer I would go the extra mile for the clean kill.:sad:
Thanks in advance,
daddus

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love to use my 45 Cal muzzleloader but I use a sabot which shoots amazingly well considering who's shooting it. I use the 200 grain Hornady with the plastic sabot. The problem I have is when they enter the deer they go all different directions and render the shot not as effective as I would like. The sabots only go to 200 grain but the powerbelts go to 300 grains in 45 cal. I have the choice of using my 50 or using the powerbelts in 45 cal. Maybe I just need to take some powerbelts to the range but before I do, I'm sure that others of you have wrestled with the sabot powerbelt thing. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. My ******* is not at this time leaning toward powerbelts but for a deer I would go the extra mile for the clean kill.:sad:
Thanks in advance,
daddus
Why not try a sabot in your .50? Like a Barnes. Then you have the best of both worlds. The best bullet in a 45.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love my Powerbelts. I shoot a CVA .50 Wolf and use 295 grain powerbelts with 100 grains of pryodex pellets. I have gotten 4 deer in 3 years with it a and this last year both of the deer I shot dropped where they were standing. I have had people say that the Powerbelts are no good and don't go all the way through the animal, but I have had no problem with this. The other 2 deer I shot have not run more than 25 yards. As I said before, I love my Powerbelts and will never use anything else. If it's not broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, the Powerbelt is a love-hate bullet. The ones who hate it are the ones who lost animals. The ones who love it haven't. (yet)

Not too many complain about losing an animal to a Barnes bullet.

Put the odds in your favor.

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
As with all guns find the bullet that shoots/performs best for you. Trying to convince others that your combination is best for them too is like trying to convince me that Dodge builds a better truck than Chevy or Ford. :bag: In almost every case the gun will be way more accurate than the person behind it can show on paper, it's just a fact. Without a fancy shooting rest and mechanical trigger firing mechanism, most of us are simply decent shooters not expert marksmen.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Keep in mind that punching paper is not trying a bullet. Nobody claims they're not accurate. You may even take a couple of animals and still think they work.

One day you'll lose an animal, and then you'll join the group of PB haters.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have shot powerbelts and a saboted TC shockwave. The edge went to the shockwave on accuracy and I will say they are deadly on a deer. Not knocking powerbelts just have never taken an animal with one so I have no opinion on how proficient they may be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.