Please be careful!!!

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  East Texas Droptine 
#1 ·
Deer Hunter Killed In Cattaraugus County

Story Published: Nov 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM EST
Story Updated: Nov 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM EST

By Jennifer Stanonis

Watch the story

Regular deer hunting season recently started and in the Town of Humphrey a deer hunter was shot and killed. 23 year old Derrick Lockwood died Sunday morning in Olean General Hospital after he was shot with a rifle while hunting earlier that morning. He and three others were hunting deer near Bloy Road in the Town of Humphrey when he was shot by a fellow hunter in his group. The State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is investigating what happened and whether it was Lockwood's brother who accidentally shot him during a deer drive, which is a hunting strategy where a hunting party splits up and one group walks through the woods to drive deer toward another group that is waiting.

The 23 year old lived in the Town of Humphrey and graduated from Franklinville High School in 2004. One of his former teachers says he was a likable person and really cared about his family.

The DEC reminds hunters to use caution while hunting, and to follow these important firearm safety tips to help prevent hunter-related shooting incidents: keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, treat every gun as if it were loaded, be sure of your target and beyond, keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot, and remember to wear Hunter Orange. And when conducting a deer drive, it is extremely important to know exactly where all members of the hunting party are, and to establish safe shooting lanes prior to the drive.

See less See more
#3 ·
I was having a good night till I read that. Not good. I cannot understand how people get shot. I know deer drives are common in many areas but in many cases you may be shooting in the direction of the sitters. There is NOTHING worse than loosing family members. I hope all reading the above post takes a moment to think about your hunting practices and how really safe they may be. My thoughts and prayers go to that family.

#4 ·
really sucks between that little baby getting shot and now this people are gonna get the wrong idea/image of hunters.Never liked drives ,always thought they were an accident waiting to happen

#7 ·
All the knowledge and practice in the World can never outweigh the SAFETY of hunting. May his family and friends find peace especially if it was his Brother that fired the fatal shot. Not that I'm against drives in certain parts of the U.S. but please think of the safest way for it to be done before sending your friends and family into a situation that could very easily end like this one. I'm a Safety Professional in the explosives industry and you just have to stop and see the big picture.

#9 ·
Drives dont make any sense. They break some of the basic firearm safety rules being "keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction" and "be certain of your target and whats beyond it."

#11 ·
What a shame. Our prayers and condolences to this young mans family, friends and loved ones.
Personally I think Drives are performed by people who don't know how to hunt.

#12 · (Edited)
I agree Bruce...I mean how hard is it too sit in a stand for a few hours...I mean if you really like hunting or at least as much as I do it would be no problem for me to sit in a stand....to ME, personally, I think it is almost unsportman like or something...cause if you think about it your just driving the deer straight to you, there is no "fun" or "sport" or something, yea I'm just kinda rambling on but IDK - I don't have a total hatred for drives or the people in them but I don't think I'll ever participate in one...just MY thoughts and opinions though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.