Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
depends on how fast your bow is.i just use my 20 and 30 pins.20 and below will still hit the same spot

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If if were me I set your pins to 20,30,40. For a 25 yd shot you simply center the 20 & 30 yd pins on the kill spot. In other words bracket where you want to hit using the 20 yd pin as the bottom and the 30 yd pin as the top and your 25 yd shot is dead on.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Not sure about the type bow you are hunting with but the newer bows generally will not need that many pins. I shoot an old Matthews at 70 lbs and only use one pin. It is set for 23 yards and I will hold low or high based on the distance. But if I center the chest on any shot out to 30 yards I would still hit the kill zone.

My point is I would get rid of most of the pins. You don't need a 40 yard pin as there are very few times to get a shot that far that is worth taking.

To answer your question either will work there is probably not much difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You should go to the target butt and then tell us. All bows are a little different. Are you just estimating or are you rangeing? Im using a pendulum right now and Im dead on from 10[aim a tad low] and dead on from 20 - 30 yards with 85 grain Thunderheads. When I get a range finder I may go back to pins, probably 2.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am shooting a PSE firestorm lite and chronographing very close to 300fps with 100 gr. muzzys. I basically can shoot a 25 yd pin and hit vitals from point blank to 40 yds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts