Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question... I killed a squirrel yesterday and was planning on skinning him when i looked at its belly and saw long nasty orange bugs running around on it! are these things fleas or something? will they attach themselves to me and my family if we come into contact? i would have posted this on the small game page but no one seems to read thos threads... thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the effort made by the two of you anyway.
ill just stay away from them, ashame though cuz, i gotta kill the squirrels and now there meat goes to waste...

·
Registered
100 Posts
sounds like warbles.we get those up here alot until after the first freeze.

·
Registered
94 Posts
alot of people say waste, not much of any animal is ever wasted like lets say we through the remains of a dead grouse on the side of the road or in the bush, they will more then likely get eaten by a wolf or bear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i beleive in eating EVERYTHING i kill.. and besides incsects, i do eat everything.
squirrels, snakes, frogs, everything...

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like those are fleas. Squirrels carry fleas. It could be something else, but down here in Arkansas i have killed a lot of them and they had fleas on them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i must admit i am a bit squemish, so i didnt get a good look at the bugs before i through them... i shot another one today (lotsss of them around my house, i make fudge for a living) and closer investigation says they are fleas... thanks for the help though everyone, i just didnt look at them long enough for a good description

·
Registered
37 Posts
ive shot some like that, always thought they were some kind of fleas. i never sweat it. before the hides can get tanned i put them in the freezer which kills them anyway. have like 7 in freezer

·
Registered
517 Posts
I Checked The Net And I Found Maybe A Western Blacklegged Tick Which Has A Reddish Abdomen.it Is Small(2.6mm)does This Sound Like What Your Seeing?or Is It More Like A Wrom?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could Also Be The Soft Shelled Tick Dosn't Specify What Color Is But They Exclusivly Feed On Small Animals Such As Rodents And Live Near The Animal.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
call your local game warden they will know or ask the local biologist:nerd:

·
Registered
7 Posts
They are called mites. They are smaller than fleas and yes they will get on your skin. You should use insect repellant during this time of year that contains deet. Deet will kill these things. They will cause you discomfort in that they make you itch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts