Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yesterday was the opening day for rifle, i use a marlin .30/30. the first 6 hours were unsuccessful, the only thing i saw was a mouse. we were about to leave when we saw 2 does walking down one of the trails. then they turned and ran back toward us. then a monster buck came trottin in with its head down.i couldnt see its antlers but i saw its body, it was a huge deer. i pulled up my gun and it walked behind some bushes. i kept watching it. i couldnt get a shot at it and it started moving to were i could and i followed it with my scope.as soon as it went to go through to a clearing were i could shoot it but it just turned and ran down the hill out of sight. so were gonna go back out and tryto find him.

R

·
0 Posts
a guy i know got a 7 point that went 234 dressed weight in pa. biggest deer he had ever seen there. and they say taking some of the does out is a bad thing, and he was one of those guys. wonder if he's having second thoughts on that?

good luck out there.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
By thinning out the Doe population the Bucks have more food available,
What the Does don't eat the Bucks can now consume those hunters that
refuse to kill does don't understand this concept.

R

·
0 Posts
BINGO but i'd like to add its all based on the carrying capacity of the habitat versus the numbers of deer. here in nh they are trying to build the population of deer so not much of a doe season.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Best does to shoot? First 2 walking. Got 2 does in the freezer. now I am hunting the Monster

·
Registered
824 Posts
That buck of mine was shot with the same rifle. Marlin 336C in .30/30. Used Hornady's LeveRevolution 160 grain bullet and it dropped like a rock. (Maybe good shot placement?) But aren't .30/30 rounds supposed to be able to go through a little brush without being deflected "too much"???

I've never tried to shoot through any brush, so I have no facts to base this on. Any ideas anyone?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
But aren't .30/30 rounds supposed to be able to go through a little brush without being deflected "too much"???

I've never tried to shoot through any brush, so I have no facts to base this on. Any ideas anyone?
Many hunters consider the .30-30 to be the best for hunting in think brush but the .30-30 isn't foul proof, all bullets can be deflected.
Keep in mind that when you're hunting in thick brush you're usually within 30 to 40 yards from the Deer you're shooting at,
All Calibers have tremendous Velocity & Energy at that distance but years ago hunters were most comfortable using the ole .30-30 to get the job done so It became the most popular to use under those conditions.
I hope this helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
when the doe pop is too high the rut is not so hot.the bucks have their pick so chasing is out.thin the does and the buck hunting will improve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts