Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say today was awesome. My 15 yr old daughter who has never ever wanted to go hunting wanted to go out and set in the new blind we built for opening day. We sat for a while and about a half hour after sunrise, three bucks showed up. She couldn't get in position for a good shot but it was a rush having them so close. A dos and a little fawn showed up later and after they left a little loaner fawn surprised us by appearing out of nowhere and was so close his head was almost inside with us. We didn't get anything but I think we all had a great time.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Those are the best of times, I am sure she will always have that memory. Sharing our sport with the youngsters is the best thing we do. Trips like that will sure make her catch the hunting bug.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think she caught the hunting bug. She's ready to go out again next weekend. I'm so glad we decided to go together the other day. While we were getting up early to go hunting her best friend was getting busted by the cops for taking het moms new vehicle and driving under age. Glad she wasn't with her and hopefully this can be something that will keep her busy and out of trouble. I'm not ready for a teenager. Lol.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Busy and out of trouble is the name of the game I believe. I raised four daughters and keeping them busy in sports kept them away from a lot of the negative influences, especially in high school. It was work getting them to the practices and games but well worth the effort. I never could get them into hunting but they loved to fish.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Congratulations, Quality time shared in the outdoors creates the best memories and makes that family bond stronger and stronger.
Good Job Mom and Dad !!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went to the local Wildlife Management Area this evening for the last two hours of the junior/senior doe season.I didn't see anything.On the way out I met a 12 yr old boy and his father and grandfather.He had just taken his first deer.It was a doe approximately 80 lbs.He dropped it on the spot with one shot from his .243.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Congrats KD- I think your approach at not forcing your daughter to hunt was the right thing. Many kids don't start hunting till teenage years because they either aren't ready for it, or they don't have interest in it yet. I think it's important as mom's and dad's to not force our kids into doing anything extra curricular. Allowing them to make the decision and then requiring them to stick with it and not quit is always the best way to go!

3212- that's a nice setting you gave us--- I bet that boy was grinning ear to ear!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.