Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really stoked about opening day of rifle season here in NC, but I got skunked, didn't see one dadblasted deer! While on my way to my stand, probably 6-8 steps from I had a buck snort, stomp and paw at me, in the PITCH BLACK morning. Now that's something that will make you change your BVD's, especially when you aren't expecting it! But, it's just the start of the season, so hopefully I'll be blessed with a couple before the season ends.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Its been unseasonably warm here in TN and that has made the rut slow down when it gets hot plus the deer movement a little bit less. (IMO)

Maybe thats what happened to you on your opening day in NC as well.

I usually here upwards of 15 or so shots on opener of rifle season in one area I hunt. This year the total was more around 8 shots. I know it wasnt lack of hunters because it was like 5 o'clock traffic in a big city (except everyone was pulling 4-wheelers) on my drive in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The moon is killing us too! It's so bright at night, they're doing a lot of their feeding then. It's supposed to turn colder than a well-diggers butt around Thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help turn the tide. Our season runs till 01/01/11, so hopefully I'll be able to put two in the freezer; that's my goal at least.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Yes its been bright and cooler at night. Thats why I think their rutting at night but calming down in the middle of the day because its been 70 degrees outside.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I absolutely agree with buckfever. The processor I take my deer to says they haven't had nearly the harvest this year that they usually have of bucks. Those old bucks know what's going on when they hear those shots going off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
just got back from nc it was hard hunting this past week between the moon and the dogs from the next door hunting club things were slow at our camp but we did get a few and i missed a buck bigger than the 11pt i got last time at least i had fun with my famliy and new friends from nc

·
Registered
852 Posts
What I always say after I get skunked with Deer

I always say it is a good thing that I don't have to live on what I can catch fishing or shoot deer hunting.... My wife would rather I shoot a beef cow anyway, I always have to point out the farmer would not like that.

Karl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's still terrible here in NC; they deer just aren't moving at all. We've got a temperature change coming tomorrow, so hopefully that will put things into swing. A buddy of mine has seen a total of four deer since last friday, which normally he would have seen probably 25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts