Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first shotgun and wonder if I should learn to shoot it with factory-installed open sights (V-shaped), or would I need to spend some extra-money to install optics.

I plan to hunt deer with the rifled barrel and deer is quite a big target. And thinking abou toptics, that's a lot of hassle and pretty big extra-expense. But everybody I hear suggest to install it. Does anybody hunt with open sights these days?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm an optics guy. Getting older now and being able to get a zoomed in veiw of my target only insures a good clean kill. Well worth the extra $$$ in my book.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I totally agree with wmi, even a red dot as minimum, but a 4X scope would be better. The modern shotguns allow you to shoot far greater than most with good eyes can acheive. When you can aford it go with a scope.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's not so necessarily about money as about how inconvenient it is to have a scoped shotgun vs. how inconvenient it is to have a shotgun without scope.

I bought the shotgun for its versatility, i.e. to be able to hunt deer, rabbit, maybe some birds down the road. I believe that a scope on a smoothbore when rabbit hunting might be a nuisance (at best), an obstacle or safety hazard (I heard lots of stories about getting a black eye from the scope and don't want to experience it).

I don't intend to shoot a deer at distances greater than 100 yrds or so (or I would purchase a rifle for deer hunting and then I would install a scope). Hopefully, I shall be sufficiently good at that distance for a lung area.

However, if there's a scope which can be mounted and useful for quick target aquisition (to do rabbit/birds shooting) and safe, I'd probably strongly consider such option... My eyes aren't perfect even with contacts.

G

·
you said you would be hunting deer with the rifled barrel. you won't be using a rifled barrel for rabbits and birds. scope it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own both smoothbore and rifled barrels and I plan to change the barrels often (only deer needs a rifled barrel, after the season is over, I would change it back to smoothbore). So, if I get scope installed professionally (with lock tight), it stays there for both barrels.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So I guess what you are saying,is that your scope would have to mount to the receiver of your shotgun,and not to the barrel?My slug barrel has a cantilever scope mount and mine stays attached to the barrel.If I had to go to that trouble,maybe they make a quick detach scope base that would still allow you to use your bead on your smooth bore barrel.I that would not work,then I don't think I would mount a scope.It's too expensive to keep sighting in.

G

·
So I guess what you are saying,is that your scope would have to mount to the receiver of your shotgun,and not to the barrel?My slug barrel has a cantilever scope mount and mine stays attached to the barrel.If I had to go to that trouble,maybe they make a quick detach scope base that would still allow you to use your bead on your smooth bore barrel.I that would not work,then I don't think I would mount a scope.It's too expensive to keep sighting in.
what he said

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
how about a red dot scope? big opening to look through, not as sencitive about eye releafe distance. quicker sooting than a standerd scope, and more acurate than open sites.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
how about a red dot scope? big opening to look through, not as sencitive about eye releafe distance. quicker sooting than a standerd scope, and more acurate than open sites.
I'd suggest the Red dot also. :thumbup:

G

·
Andy,it's me again.

Andy,it's me again. As the deepth of the tdhears seems to be limited and there is no more reply link available, I'm replying here.I've managed to update the plugin! How? As you told me I just deactived the plugin and for whatever reason I then thought hey, let's try to update automatically a final time . And it worked!!! I just needed to activate the plugin again and now I'm back on stage Maybe this gives you a hint what happened.Best regards,Goetz

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, sir. I assumed that receiver-mount is my only option, but I can see now that there are replacement-barrels with scopes mounted to them. Thank you for your clarification.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
There are receiver saddle mounts that can be removed just by knocking out two pins, I know they make them for Rem and Mossberg. No drilling either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts