Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the record, I had the release on backwards, and yes I am a city man.

Born and raised as a city man. Met my wife, slowly turning into the country guy I am. I am already hunting with my Remington 270 rifle so naturally I would try the bow and arrow.

So this past weekend they where outside practicing shooting their arrows. I hesitated shooting the bow due to it was a right handed bow (I'm left handed) but I did pretty good. I shot the "target deer lungs" about 100 yards back. So we went to Jays sporting goods at Clare,MI I saw a nice selection of left handed bows and I decided to try them out.

Pulled back the string with the release and I touched the release (by accident remember I had the release on backwards) :THAWCK: I shot in the ceiling, missing the light by a mere 2 inches.

I had my embarrassment for the weekend.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
In Mi.? I thought I saw that Arrow fly right thru Vermont on it's way to NH. That's almost 100 yards, ain't it?

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
100 yards w/ a bow thats nothing I once killed a sparrow at a 1000 yards w/ a pea & a rubber band looking into a mirror & the bird was flying

haven't tried shooting a 100 yards yet w/ mine but do consistantly shoot out to 60 yards tried 70 but after the fourth lost arrow I gave up

·
Registered
190 Posts
i usually try and stay around 10-30 i try not to go any farther cause i really have no use i dont see myself shooting a deer any farther than that leaves a lot of chance at wounding the dear and that i really dont want .:sadbanana:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:goodposting:

Don't worry about that. Last thing I want to do is make a deer suffer. Which is why I'm sticking with my rifle until I master bow and arrow and odds are I'm still sticking with the rifle...it's a faster death for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So you were the guy !!!!:biggrin: I have friends who work at Jays, so nothing is a secret. Don't be embarrassed, it's happened before.........but never to me....yet. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have yet to shoot out a ceiling, so congrats on your first kill!

However as long as we are going to sip some whiskey and swap huntin stories I have one for ya...

If anyone has read my previous post(s) you might have gathered that I did not have the natural robin hood ability when I bought my 1st bow. Well now, after I was able to conquer actually hitting the target block I felt pretty good about myself. Yeppers, I had a nice feeling of David beatin Goliath and the roar of the mighty hunter! My 1st kill happened 3 days after I bought my 1st bow! Talk about luck and master of his domain!!! Yep, I had to steady my hands and control my breathin, I drew back and and used my eagle eyes to zoom in on my target. I slowly let my breath out and squeezed the trigger and the arrow took off like a guided rocket! Wait!!! how in the I&^*%(!!!!
I put that arrow a good 4" in the leg of my back deck!! I have to admit I chuckled after I figured out where the arrow actually went. That arrow was in my back deck for a good month because it would not come out. The wife wasnt as impressed as I had hoped she would be with my 1st kill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.