Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recent posts have praised and criticised outfitters, and I guess all comments apply depending on the outfitter and your personal experience. Here's just a short illustration of a hunt that I was on for elk with an outfitter (before I moved to Montana and started doing my own DIY hunts).
All on foot, up and down mountains all day long. Slept in a wood stove-heated tent (had to keep putting wood in the fire every couple of hours). Great food and bull-shitting in the main tent. Hunted in snow most of the time. More up and down mountains. Killed a small (no such thing when elk hunting) bull elk on the next-to-the-last day on a really steep slope. Damn thing must have slid a couple of hundred yards into a nasty hole on the wrong side of the mountain before getting caught on some brush. It was in such a bad place, we couldn't get horses in the next day to pack it out. So, three guides and I carried it out on packboards. Really hard work toting about a 70 pound chunk of meat in deep snow on a steep hill. Anyway, there was nothing easy about this - except the eating and the bull-shitting (I guess I'm just naturally good at that!:yes:)
as

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice. circa?????
When I was young enough and strong enough to do that kind of thing. That hunt was in 1984. I also shot a really nice muley buck a couple of days earlier. It was a great experience for my first western hunt. I guess I was hooked on hunting in the west after that! But it took me nine more years to actually move out here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
when booking with an outfitter do research!!!! i book for 30 of them and have done research and hunted with most of them i would feel comfortable sending my father to hunt. main thing is do research talk to refrences etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts