Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. has anyone seen a doe or a buck like this....with this much of a sway-back? Is she streching? That's what I first thought but I've now got 2 pics of her in the exact same stance....so what do ya'll think? I've never seen a doe that stood like this in person. Sorry the pics aren't very clear the scanner didn't "pick up" the pics very well.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
or a birth defect? A few years ago in Michigan's UP I saw a deer no bigger that a fox and this was late season winter. A true drawf deer I believe, very strange though.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda looks like she might have been hit by a car.
It would be VERY VERY unlikely for her to have been hit by a car or truck, the only road is a sand road, and yes people do fly down some parts of the road but majority of the time you MUST go slow in order to control your vehicle because the roads are just sand, hardly no rock at all....so the possiblitly of her being hit is VERY low...

·
Registered
562 Posts
that's wierd...If it was just one pic I would assume it's just some kind of distortion with the camera, but since there is two pics it must be real. It looks like she is about a foot too long. I have a hard time aging does, but I think her problem seems to more a deformity than age.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm no expert but i say nope not an old doe .just like bucks look at the nose ,her's is long like a yearling the neck is slender too.If i was hunting i would wait a few minutes and mom will show up then i would take the young one,better meat and least chance of surviving a northern winter .Just my 2 cents

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
She has some kind of injury or birth defect. Definitely some kind of physical issues.
I agree and If you start seeing more deer with similar type physical defects I'd report it to a local Game Warden.
If you start seeing more it could possibly be more than just a birth defect.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've never seen this doe in person....I mean that's not to say I haven't seen all the deer in the forest but I would think maybe I would have seen this doe....but I guess not.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My guess would be she is an old doe that may be sick and loosing weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts