Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im hunting NE oklahoma, both public and private land. last few nights have been very clear with a BRIGHT full moon, and days are hitting mid 70s. ive only found a few scrapes and seen only squirrels. still no sign of rutting yet and ive been hunting late morning and midday. any suggestions:confused:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
im hunting NE oklahoma, both public and private land. last few nights have been very clear with a BRIGHT full moon, and days are hitting mid 70s. ive only found a few scrapes and seen only squirrels. still no sign of rutting yet and ive been hunting late morning and midday. any suggestions:confused:

the Bright full moon isn't helping your hunt, Deer will move all night long during bright full moons so naturally if they move all night they're probably not going to move much during the following days.
When the deer enter further into the Rut, you'll should begin to see more action. hope this helps, good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
deer movement

I've always been told deer move most 3 to 6 hours after moon rise. If that's the case, that would explain why deer movement was very low this week. I can tell you it was very slow in central VA. Movement should pick up considerably next week -- when I'm back at work :crybaby:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm n ohio and a seeing signs of movement tracks rubs etc but not seeing deer while I'm out. Currently in my stand in sw ohio.

·
Registered
195 Posts
These warm temps we are having are not helping.The full moons are also a problem.Where do you hunt in N.E. Okla?I live in N.E. Oklahoma,a few miles from Missouri.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not seen many deer either and they and have only seen one buck last week. I dont what is going on i am in central ohio

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
My Guess is it's the Lull Of the Rut, everyones saying the same things you are,,
All I can blame it on is the rut be a little more patient we all know it's going to change. :thumbup: Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I gotta believe that I have the worse luck! I've been out almost everyday for the past 2-3 weeks and nothing! I have seen just one 4 point buck in shooting range last sat. That's it. Just no action. I am switching between two spots. I think I am going to quit the one spot (top of a mountain) there's just nothing moving around. Gonna find something new. Can't hurt. I'm already not seeing anything. Any tips out there?!

I see these doe in this small grass field every night (except for tonight) when I drive out of the area where I was hunting and thought perhaps I should set up near this field and wait for them in the late afternoon/evening...? What do you think? Good idea? There's only 4 days left here for archery...Gotta try something.

I WAS hunting this very small strip of woods in private land that I recorded a 10 point buck in late Oct and in late Sept. But have hunted there for weeks and saw nothing. Just nothing. Not even smaller buck. Got really discouraging and went up to this mountain spot. At least I saw a 4 pointer. Wonder if I should go back to this 10 point spot...? Now that the rut is supposedly "in".

Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
No Deer

I don't have an explanation, but I will pass along my observations. I keep a journal and have for years. Every so often, you will find a period of time when deer seem to migrate to, bed down in, and travel through open terrain a little more frequently. For whatever reason, that seems to be the case this year in the area that I hunt. I usually hunt deep in the woods and try to find high bluffs. Not only have I not seen deer there this year, I've seen very few scrapes or rubs. After jumping deer three days in a row last week on a power line coming from my stand, I moved to a broom straw field. That afternoon I filled my first tag with a young buck. This past weekend I saw a trophy buck within a mile of my house chasing a doe beneath a power line. I've asked others I know that have taken deer this year and most are citing highest activity at or near edges of cover. Again, I can't explain it but recognize at least a temporary shift in behavior in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Don't know what you guys are doing but I'm seeing deer through out the day and mostly bucks. You might need to reevaluate your set ups. Stay mobile and change locations until you hit pay dirt. Seriously guys the bucks are cruising.:no:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts