Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the imput on low recoil rifle. I was in Academy this past week end and picked up Marlin xl7 .243. They had there last one marked down to $229.00 so i had to get it.
My question is scope choice. I am looking at 3-4 different ones:

Redfield Revolution
Leupold rifleman
Nikon Pro staff
Sightron S1

All are 3x9x44-44 and are priced from $130-199. Is one better than the other, or should i save a little more money and buy a better quality scope.

Thanks

Sabstang

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for all the imput on low recoil rifle. I was in Academy this past week end and picked up Marlin xl7 .243. They had there last one marked down to $229.00 so i had to get it.
My question is scope choice. I am looking at 3-4 different ones:

Redfield Revolution
Leupold rifleman
Nikon Pro staff
Sightron S1

All are 3x9x40-44 and are priced from $130-199. Is one better than the other, or should i save a little more money and buy a better quality scope.

Thanks

Sabstang
(any info on ammo selection would be helpful)

R

·
0 Posts
the redfield is newly out i believe so there might not be much in the way of reviews from the woods. the rifleman is the bottom of line for leupold. I don't own a prostaff but the word is they are a good scope for the money. sightron i thought was more into the ar type sighting systems but i might be mistaken.

my personal opinion is get the best glass you can afford, even if it means saving for a while to get to that $400 range.

ammo is going to be what shoots best through your rifle, but i would try hornady 100gr light mags. it shoots well through my 243, as does the 90gr hornady. hornady isn't the only good bullet out there but its my first stop.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Good advice from ronn. If your stuck in the 130-200 range for glass you cant go wrong with the nikon or the leupold. I have used both and cant complain about either one.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I put a Leupold rifleman on my TC triumph. In the price range you are in you can't go wrong with leupold. I agree with ronn on the new Redfields, we need some field reports on them to get an idea on their quality.

·
Registered
283 Posts
From the list I would opt for the Nikon Prostaff. They run about $140-160. Search Gunbroker and you may be able to land one for $90-100. I have 3 of them and they're good quality glass for the price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Go with the Luepold. you may pay extra for it but you will be happy with it.

As for ammo, I don't know about .243, but I like Hornady in my 7mm 08

·
Registered
852 Posts
The new Redfield is made for you....

You are the perfect person that Leopold is looking at with the new Redfield line. They state online that you get a lifetime warranty, and remember that it is fully owned by leopold. You don't have to be concerned about whether they will be around in 5 years. The online clip that I watched said they are focusing on the ~150.xx dollar market with the new American made Redfield line. I have read reports from buyers reporting horror stories on getting other manufactures to support their products. Saying that I just bought a Nikon African Monark scope, so I didn't follow my own advise. I would compare two scopes at a time, and compare by looking through them outside the store not inside with the floresent lights. If they have a problem with you walking ourside to compare them find another store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts