Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here. This was my first season hunting and I have scene deer but have not got a chance for a good shot. I have two boys who wanted to learn to hunt so I am learning along with them. To be honest I did not think I would like it but now I can't get enough of it. This site is great and I think it will help us bag a good one.

Thanks for helping the newbee from Alabama.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Greetings from Vermont & Welcome to the deer hunters club.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome, I am also relatively new to the site and all I can say is I feel comfortable posting here... bunch of good guys and gals whose passion I happen to share.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm on page 18, I think I might have to start taking notes all this information is great. Your right the people seem very friendly and real deer hunters. Thank you all for welcoming me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hunting in mid december and 3 deer were hanging around about 20 yards away. 1 deer was a big doe and the other 2 looked like babies. I could have taken the big doe but I did not know if that was the mother and if the babies would survive. Is this the case or did I make a bad decision.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
sounds like you made a great ethical/personal decision by passing up what may have been a momma Doe with yearlings and I applaud you for showing this much respect to the animals,, many hunters approach a hunt wanting to harvest any game animal they see which is fine as long as they hunt following the Laws (Federal & State rules and regulations...)
Either way, as long as it was within the law and legal for you to harvest a Doe, It's totally your decision on what you choose to harvest and what you choose to let pass,, many fawn/yearlings fall prey to predators anyway but there are many other factors that come into play when deciding whether to harvest Bucks or Doe's,, young or old... Food supply, Habitat, carrying capacity, Herd size, Health of the herd, Buck to doe ratios...

We as hunters are simply the tools our State's use to try to establish, healthy, balanced wildlife...

Good Luck

G

·
sounds like you made a great ethical/personal decision by passing up what may have been a momma Doe with yearlings and I applaud you for showing this much respect to the animals,, many hunters approach a hunt wanting to harvest any game animal they see which is fine as long as they hunt following the Laws (Federal & State rules and regulations...)
Either way, as long as it was within the law and legal for you to harvest a Doe, It's totally your decision on what you choose to harvest and what you choose to let pass,, many fawn/yearlings fall prey to predators anyway but there are many other factors that come into play when deciding whether to harvest Bucks or Doe's,, young or old... Food supply, Habitat, carrying capacity, Herd size, Health of the herd, Buck to doe ratios...

We as hunters are simply the tools our State's use to try to establish, healthy, balanced wildlife...

Good Luck
:w00t::unsure::thumbup::pickle:

well put bb and spot on. couldn't have said it any better myself

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your confirmation, it just did not seem right 1 of the yearlings was even trying to nurse on the doe and she would not let it. I have about 8 does an yearlings ththat frequent my area and 4 bucks that appear regularly on my game camera. During the rut I had an additional 3 bucks come by that I have never seen before. I am hunting 40 acres of private property that has a pond and some nice bedding areas. Me and my kids are the only people that hunt the area so this year should be you goodyear I hope. All the information from this site should really help a lot. Thanks again for your reply.

G

·
hunting is a very personal thing. there is an old post somewhere with a poll discussing the reason we hunt and how the reasons are different for each hunter.

I love to hunt, i like bringing meat home to help feed my family, but i also have great respect for all wildlife, nature, and our role in it, as do most ture hunters. killing an animal shouldn't be taken lightly and should be done with respect for that animal. we owe it to them to do the best we can to learn all the ways of the outdoors and the reason behind the taking of the life we are about to end, as well as conducting this with the utmost proficiency and concern for the animal as an individual animal and a species over all.

i know, heady and deep stuff for rednecks but i believe things that need to be thought out because ending a life is permanent and a pretty heavy load.

good hunting and remember to teach your kids that hunting should be done with respect for the hunted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts