Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've never actually been hunting before but I have been to the range a few time and really enjoy target shooting for what that's worth. I have a few friends out west who have expressed interest in hunting. Before I try to get them into it I'd like to get into a groove up in MI with camping and hunting on my own.

my question for all of you is what equipment would you recommend for a beginner ? I'm looking for tips on what kind of rifles and basic survival equipment/strategies for camping/hunting in Michigan's winter climate.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Hey drummerman, welcome to the DHC.com. I would first recommend that you concentrate on being warm while in the woods. Hunting Parkas, Pants, Gloves, etc that are labeled GORE-TEX are always high quality and keep you warm and dry. Highly insulated hunting boots to keep your feet warm. There are many different styles and brands but I use rubber boots with 1,000 grams of insulation for the WNY winters. Secondly, it would be a good idea to scout ahead of time to know that there area you want to hunt in fact hold deer. Deer trails are sometimes easy to find and sometimes hard to find. But the list of tips/advice goes on and on and on and you will definitely get loads of great advice from everybody here.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
:goodposting: just to add a little to that. get you a good knife. dont cheep out on it. gutting a deer, it can be the difference inbetween it not being real fun, and having it realy, realy not fun. it can also save your life if you get lost. also on that note. get a magnesium stone. there like $5 at wally world and with it and the good knife mentioned above you can start a fire in the worst, and wettest conditions.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Greetings from Vermont drummerman, welcome to the club.

Your list of "Most Important" things to bring should include a Compass, a lighter, a book of matches, a few band-aids, some snack foods/energy bars, a knife, a back-up knife, a Flashlight and all the other common sense items for hunting/camping, sleeping bag, Personal hygiene items. Warm Clothes (Hunting and casual), EXTRA socks, Hats, gloves and DON'T forget about your Prescription Medicines if you're taking any.
It never hurts to take along a travel size bottle of Tylenol (if you can take tylenol).
IF you have a cell phone take that too Don't forget your hunting equipment, licenses/tags/permits Rifles/ammunitions/, bow/arrows, binoculars, calls and your scents. I think that's about it, If I've missed anything I hope you remember it.
Good Luck and happy safe hunting... DON'T forget your Camera ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm glad to see all the new people to the sport. It make me not feel like I'm not the only one. But in addition I spent a lot of time at the range. Getting used to my gun. And even more time shooting in the woods. At 1 gallon jugs. About the size of vitals at a distance. And So I could get used to shooting while standing. Insted of just off a bench. I hope it helps. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hunting Michigan in the late season, especially the UP requires knowing the migration route, Nothern deer migrate to wintering yards tipically cedar swamps. You need to know where these wintering yards are. Also, you will never experience cold like sitting in a Michigan cedar swamp -20* and wind blowing. With-in 1 hour your muscles don't want to move and can become very dangerous. Only the very best clothing/boots will work. All that said it can be the best hunting you'll ever experience. I've archery hunted cedar swamps for about 20 years.Those southern boys better not try this type of hunting:yucky:. The nothern lower part of Michigan is very much like the rest of the mid-west late hunting, cold and locating the deer takes time. Look for winter food sources on southern facing ridges, slopes, or where deer can get some winter sun on them. Buy the best hunting equipment you can afford, don't skimp on boots and clothes you'll soon find out your mistakes. Locate someone you can hunt with and knows the area you wish to hunt in their knowledge is worth a bunch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for your comments and input, I read them all carefully.

I've spent a lot of time trying to read up on as much as I can in terms of winter survival... my main objective for the moment is preparing to spend at least 2 days out in the brush (when the snow starts coming down). maybe set some traps and take some pictures to pass time. I'm thinking rifle hunting might have to take a backseat until I can at least establish my comfort level with being out in the elements and isolated.

common sense would tell me to just go with a guide and pick up everything from that person but at the same time I know I would enjoy the element of uncertainty that would come with going out alone and armed only with the things ive read up on.

if anyone has any online reference material they think I might wanna check out go ahead and post a link, ill be sure to check it out.

Regards,

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts