Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, my first post here.

I have been a shooter since the 1980's and have always wanted to get into the sport of hunting. Since then, the only hunting I have done has been day hunts with outfitters for hogs or exotics. I don't know anyone in my area who hunts, owns land or has a lease.

Now that I have 3 sons, a 5 year old, 3 year old and a 1 year old, I really want to get serious about hunting whitetail deer and hogs. I'd like to gain experience so I can give my sons growing up what I didn't have, a family who spends time in the outdoors scouting and hunting. I'd like them to learn the way as they get older. Based on my past hunts, I need to get that experience hunting on my own or with friends and not at an outfitter's ranch. Don't get me wrong, my hunts have been fun (and i will do more in the future)...but not a great learning experience.

I was wondering where everyone hunts and how often? Also, are you a member of a lease? If so, are there any tips you could pass on to me while I look for a lease? Does anyone hunt public land? Is it as bad as a lot of people claim?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

G

·
welcome to the club. there are a couple guys here from fl so thats a help. your take on the hunting on your own vs a guided hunt is spot on in my opinion. 90% of hunting is missing with those guided hunts, i got nothing against them though. there are a lot of years in the woods on here so some of the info should be of some help. if you ask specific questions the answers you get will be clearer. welcome again from nh.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Welcome from Montana. Whether to hunt on public land or lease depends on what's available in your state. In Montana, we have literally millions of acres of public land and private land - 93,000,000 acres in all, so even though some places get overcrowded, a hunter who does his homework can usually find some good spots. It might take you a year or two, but you might start by checking with your state Fish and Game (or whatever they call themselves in FL) about access in general. They may also tell you where you can get maps. As you get this info, you can begin scouting areas to see what they look like. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
if you want to get your kids into hunting. you might want to go to the youth hunting form and find the topic "getting lil man into hunting" there is about 5 pages of good advice in there, and you can then ask more spacific questions that you develop wile reading it.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
hello from Ohio. You will find a lot of help here by scanning the forums on past posts. Its great to see you thinking/planning on involving your sons in hunting.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings From Vermont, Glad to have you with us...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and the tips. Glad to be here.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I was wondering where everyone hunts and how often? Also, are you a member of a lease? If so, are there any tips you could pass on to me while I look for a lease? Does anyone hunt public land? Is it as bad as a lot of people claim?
Hunt in TN.. Prob 1 a week to twice a week depending upon the work schedule and the deer activity.

Yes Im on a lease.

Word of mouth is how I have heard about all the leases I have been on. But you can look for them online, in your local paper etc. Look for guys you work with that hunt. You have a signature showing you as President of your company. I am positive their will be some worker wanting to kiss up to his boss and take him hunting, share info about leases etc.!!! :biggrin: Are heck just start spreading the word your looking for a hunting lease at work.

craigslist.com will have leases listed at times and we have a website around here thats called local sales network. Im not sure if it covers FL or not but it does cover TN. I was thinking its is a site similar to craigslist.

Also check out our FL hunting page. Some good info there. http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/regions/florida-deer-hunting/

Also that Hunting with Kenny ad that is on that page may be of some interest of you if your hunting for public land in Northwest FL.

I would not think hunting public land in FL would be all that crowded. Fewer deer hunters in that state than other big deer states. For example: Florida has probably a few more deer than Illinois but Illnois has over twice the amount of hunters that FL does. FL has a few more deer and and alot fewer hunters.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
SW florida is a tough place to deer hunt or at least it was when I lived there in the early 1980's. The heat and the bugs were tough. You probably know the better deer hunting is north and the panhandle. Locate all the state open and managed hunts and start there, maybe you can locate something kind of close. There are lots of great leases in South Georgia that have permanate camping for a trailer which I would think is a must for you.

Personaly I hunt private land mostly and have been on numerous leases. Be carefull selecting a lease, it's good to know who you are shareing the woods with and that all members have equal access. Just know they are not all great hunting experieces.

Good luck and welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts