Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I hunt on public land as of right now primarily because it's hard to connect wtih people to gain permission. But I have a field I sit on either in a treestand or from a ground blind. This field is usually the best place to see a deer, I always see them on this field while I hunt, but they are usually 75-100 yards away, when they cross it. I know that for that particular day I do need to get in the right spot so that they will come towards me, but as of yet I just can't get it right.

i was hoping that someone could help me out and give me a way to draw them closer to my position if they are not looking to come my way. i do not want to douse myself in estrus or call madly to try to get attention because Im pretty sure that will just spook them and they will avoid me. I have so many good trails other places in this land but other hunters will just destroy these areas and the deer will avoid them otherwise I would try to get a closer shot by getting on the of the trails, but this field feels pretty promising...any help for me guys?

R

·
0 Posts
you've eliminated the most promising option. you don't douse yourself. you lay down a trail for them to follow but you said yourself the trails are already there find the pinch points and sit them. you don't have to call madly. just a couple to get their attention. if they aren't coming your way already calling can only bring them to you if they are going away already. as one of my favorite tv hunters, roger raglin, says do something they are going away anyway.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont Welcome the the Club.

A filed set-up like you've described is usually pretty easy to handle.
If you're already seeing deer at 75 yards all you should have to do is move yourself closer to the paths they use to cross the field.
No need to use lure scents, or calls at all.
You can bet that If I see deer cross a field I'm hunting near, the next Day I'll be positioned about 15 yards from where they entered the woods.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so i went out yesterday, i hadnt read this yet. but i do know what im doin somewhat. i set up closer to where they enter the field, i had a 40 yard shot. spent 5 mins shaking while a buck stared straight thru me. shot high. o well. I used a can call once they started moving away from me. i was just too far from the path they came out on, considering i was about 15 yards from another trail, and 50 yards from the one they used. there is always tomorrow. it was a great experience i tell you what.

R

·
0 Posts
did you happen to notice them twitch their tails right after the call. i've seen them just wave their tail and keep right on walking, a wave like yea hi i heard you but i'm going this way. kinda a fly shoeing thing.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm glad moving into the zone added more excitement to the hunt for you,
that's usually a good plan of action after seing them pass thru a field as long as you didn't disturb them.
I'd rather be looking at the pictures of you and your Deer but I'm a patient man. :biggrin: LOL

Good luck & keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts