Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how are ya?Lookit..Im new to bowhunting...In fact this is the first year Ive ever even shot a bow...and in the process I fell in love.Hard.I have a few questions that I need some help answering, I only have a few acres of my own land to hunt along with public land so wind direction and stand location is limiting the time I spend in the woods.I need a climbing stand, or perhaps just an effective way to climb a tree.The climber I have is huge and heavy and Im tired of lugging it around with me.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
190 Posts
there are a few options open that i can think of there is of course very difficult but the option of ground hunting in a blind. or taking your stand into the woods the night before or something to that affect. also you could look into a ladderstand if you have your own land, or if you can hunt on private land that the pwner allows you to do so. make sure you always have a good amount of shooting lanes in your tree it does no good when bowhunting to have a world record deer broadside at 20 yards if you cant ever get a shot. thats where tree placement comes in and all those things. good luck and welcome to our wonderful world.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
If it's your land I would just set up a couple of ladder stands with 2 things in mind, bedding and food sources locate the routes the deer use for travel (the corridors), set the stands approx. 30 yards off those trails. morning hunts near bedding areas, afternoon hunts near food sources.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If you don't mind a few more questions: First how much land do you have to hunt, is there anything that draws deer naturally to it. What is the land contour, flat, hills, stream. Do you have bedding areas? Maybe the public area has more to offer the deer even though I hate to hunt public lands. The higher you hunt the more the shot angle shrinks and the more practice is required, really required. A high majority of archers cannot make that shot consistantly from heights of 25-35'. I would start with ladder stands at 16' and see what happens. These can be bought very cheaply if you look for sales. Are you after bucks only or will any deer fill your needs? Be patient and practice with that bow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hunting man,Youre right about the public land having more to offer.I have 70 acres of planted pines, and does tend to bed on another piece of property in thick brush and walk a short distance to and through mine.Another 40 acres on a non-adjacent portion of property is an area where does are known to bed throughout the year.I have seen bucks in both areas but they are rare and passing through.I know to be a proficient bowhunter I have to get closer to deer than what I typically get with a rifle.Does and bucks alike.My reasoning is 'I got to get higher'.Im becoming really good at ladder stand type elevations.As for contour of the land its all pretty flat and the only way to draw in more deer is probably a bigger food plot.Which is probably going to get done anyway.Think Im going about this the wrong way?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Kyle85, if you plant a food plot or better two plots of differing products like a fall and summer crop the deer will come to you. I would assume that with a lot of pines you may have a low ph soil. There's a ton of things to read prior to spending 1 dollar on food plots. Check our food plot forum discussions. If the deer are traveling through your property then you have established routes to concentrate on for stand locations. These most likely are doe/young buck and yearling routes. Only lots of scouting will determine if you have any trophy bucks, wmi can help you in that area, just pm him and I'm sure he'll give you some pointers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts