Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a savage 111 270win. Yesterday i shot it to make sure it was still sighted in and i didnt look down the scope after i shot and today i got it out and looked down the scope and the crosshairs were broke. I did some research on that scope and when it first came out with it it was priced at $130 and now its worth $30. any suggestions to what i should get? It had a simmons 3x-9x 40mm scope on it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
don't really know of any good scopes under $100.00 . really, glass isn't something to go too cheap on. especially if it is your primary weapon. might look around and see if you could find something decent on sale after deer season is over. IMHO

G

·
don't really know of any good scopes under $100.00 . really, glass isn't something to go too cheap on. especially if it is your primary weapon. might look around and see if you could find something decent on sale after deer season is over. IMHO
X2..........................

·
Registered
602 Posts
a different route might be to check with some local gunshops. sometimes they get rifles in on trade and will sell them with or without the scope. they might have some used scopes around the shop. my buddy that owns a gunshop here in Tampa usually has 1 or 2 laying around. i'm sure most other shops do to.

·
Registered
602 Posts
last year i picked my son up a simmons 44 mag. 3x9-44mm scope used for $40.00 put it on his .243. nice scope for a used one. that was from a local gunshop.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
bump it up to $130 and you can get into some real decent scopes. im looking at two different scopes for my .270 right now with a limmit of $300. i even looked at some as expencive as $550. my two favorets were. the nikon pro staff 3x-9x by 40mm for $150, and the Pantex gameseeker 3.5x-10x by 50mm for $139. i liked them both more than i lkied the $500 scopes. oh ya and ill throw this one in just cause its in your price rainge and its a nice scope but it dont fit you description of what you were looking for it is a 4x fixed scope called the simmons pro dimond. but im not looking at it for me. happy hunting.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just need something cheap and reliable
"cheap and reliable" - These two adjectives just don't go together when talking about scopes. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you can't afford a scope that's in the $200 range (at a bare minimum), you should wait and save up until you can buy one. If you don't, you'll just be getting scopes of the same quality that you now have. This time it was the reticles, next one will fog up, then you'll get one that won't hold it's point of impact, etc.). You'll have to keep buying replacements, and in the long run, you will have spent enough to have bought a good quality scope in the first place. The good news is that, since most deer hunting is winding down for this year, you have lots of time to save up. Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Pentax, and Bushnell cost more than you want to spend, but you won't be disappointed with the quality once you get any of these, as well as a few other brands, on your rifle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would say buy the most Nikon that you can afford. Good quality decent price. Not sure if you can get in on for a 100 but it should get you close.

I have read a lot that says you should have a scope that cost as much as your rifle. I agree but still have a hard time spending that on glass

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
you get what you pay for. buy a $30 pos at wally world, you get a junk scope. drop $100 + on one from a gun store get a nice scope. its that simple. that being said, if you shop around you can find places selling the nikon pro staff 3-9x X40 for about $130, and i have never heard any one say anything bad about them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The new Redfield line of scopes

You may want to take a look at the new line of American made Redfield scopes. They are made by Leupold and have a lifetime warranty. The retail price is listed as 150.00 for a 3x9x40. It will probibly sell for a little less. At 150 dollars this is more than you wanted to spend but I agree with what was said earlier, a cheap scope will cost you more in the long run in missed game and grief.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to this board, and this post is the best advice that I have seen offered here.

Optics are one of those things that you do get exactly what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap.

I am not familiar with the different models, but it is my understanding that Nikon offers some "decent" low priced glass. If it was me, I would look for a good, clean, used Leupold Vari-X II or VX-II, but I absolutely wouldn't go any lower in the Leupold line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts