Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody i was wondering about a .280 my friend had one and he loved it. i was just wondering about knockdown and accuracy. would it be good for brush as well as field hunting. and what kind of range does it have thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The 280 is an excellent round, very accurate, and falls into the great deer rounds like the 270, 308, 30-06, probably has a touch better accuracy over the 30-06. As far as brush cailber, I wish that old term would be pu to rest as it has little to no truth to it. Any bullet contacting brush, limbs ect would be deflected, the amount of deflection might be slightly different with slow moving heavy bullets vs very fast light bullets, but unless you're firing cannon balls forget the brush bullet term.You have a great deer getting caliber in the 280 congrats!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have killed more game with my .280 than any other of my rfles. It has superb accuracy, enough power for any animal on the continent (except maybe brown bear). I have killed everything from 90lb. pronghorns to 700 pound bull elk with one shot. I'm headed out to hunt antelope with it tomorrow, so I can't write more at this time - packing, but will get back to you if you have any more questions. You can't go wrong with this caliber even though it happens to be the very BEST over-looked caliber on the planet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The .280 is my favorite caliber.If you read the ballistic charts,it is very close to a 7 mag.You would love it.I have had 2 Remington 700 Mountain rifles in .280.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts