Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a best side shot of the new Hawken project. I have to decide on cal, barrel, lock, but this side should be interesting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Would be cool to do that I think. You will have to show us the steps you do in case any of us decide to try one we will have a thread on how a pro did it!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the stock on E-bay at a pretty good price. This is a long term project but I'll post as I get more done on it. Muley, don't get me started!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's because you buy CVA :lol: The best was the old Mountain rifles in maple but even those were of low grade. At least I don't ever remember a CVA with decent wood and I've looked at several hundred on-line over the years. Never saw a stock that caught my eye and wanted to purchase it. My flintlock CVA mountain rifle is of modest, low end maple. I just wanted a mountain rifle in flintlock so I could set it next to the TC PA flintlock and remember why I haven't purchased another CVA! :w00t:

·
Banned
611 Posts
That's because you buy CVA :lol: The best was the old Mountain rifles in maple but even those were of low grade. At least I don't ever remember a CVA with decent wood and I've looked at several hundred on-line over the years. Never saw a stock that caught my eye and wanted to purchase it. My flintlock CVA mountain rifle is of modest, low end maple. I just wanted a mountain rifle in flintlock so I could set it next to the TC PA flintlock and remember why I haven't purchased another CVA! :w00t:
Oh no CVA had some real high grade maple. These stocks are very hard to find though. I regret selling the 3 mtn rifles stocked in maple that i used to have. But... you can't hang onto all of them.

Wait till ya see the stock im workin on now! Hoooweeee! This is one beautiful chunk of walnut.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought it was a Lyman kit stock you were doing for someone? Lyman varried little on their walnut stocks. I don't argue that a person could vastly improve the appearance of a stock Lyman finish but it's not high grade wood to start with. Their finish always reminded me of Danish oil?? If you owned a few nice CVA stocks how about posting one to share with us. I'd like to see a factory high grade mountain rifle. In fact I'd be interested in purchasing a really nice one.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't be crazy...there's no CVA with a high end stock with actual figure/curl/ burl, stripes, whatever you call nice wood that was a standard factory offering, can't be, they were only $99.99 and most of that was for the box! :bye:

·
Banned
611 Posts
i cant upload the GPR stock pics yet due to bandwidth but i can guarantee you, this is the nicest wood i've ever seen on a GPR. Lots of dark curls and pattern in this one, not a weak spot in it.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Spam posts are not allowed muley.

·
Banned
611 Posts
whooowee!! Im hitting that GPR with a mixture of 150-220 grit wet sand paper, wow! I should have the sanding job finish later this evening. I'll make a new post once i get those pictures up.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FG, won't wet sanding continue to raise/open the grain each time causing you to simply repeat the process? I tend not to wet sand firearms. I simply work my way up to 800/1000 for final sanding.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts