Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gentlemen (and ladies), my name is Sam, I'm from south Louisiana and Deer season opens next saturday. I just came up with some money for my first rifle, but im new to the sport, and Rifles.. I do know a good deal about hand guns, but hunting gear is somewhat new to me.

im going to be hunting deer in the 2-400 yard range, and would like a rifle and scope combo accurate to 600 yards. I need to stay under $2000.00. Please give me some suggestions as to where the best places to price out online would be.. and i do have a bass pro half hour away if need be. thanks for the help, looking forward to hearing back.

I was looking into the Remington Model 700 XCR (.300) good choice?

G

·
i would go handle them to see what feels good to you, what fits. thats should be more than enough $$ for a good rifle and scope. fit is the biggest/ most important thing in my opinion. 400 yards is gettin out there for a first timer. i hope you plan on spending plenty of time at the range before you think about hunting. the .270's to 300 mags should do the trick nicely. they all make good guns and they all make so so guns. generally i think you get what you may for so keep that in mind.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I don't own the Remington 700 XHR but I have enough faith in Remington to say I bet it's a great choice but don't limit yourself to just one choice, like ronn said go to your local dealer and handle a few you have plenty of funds, you can easily afford to pick and choose from the many that are available but just make sure it feels good for you and make sure it's the caliber you want.
Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My last purchase was a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WSM. With a Pentax scope, I have less than $1,000 in it. I have been very pleased with the combo. It will easily handle the distance you've spec'd out for deer. As for my shooting ability, that's another story :yes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.