Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been hunting before in my life. I am hoping to get a chance to go this season with a friend. My problem is, I am not quite sure what all I need. My only problem is, being fresh out of college and in an entry level job, I don't have much of a bank to break. Obviously, a gun and optics. I was thinking about a Marlin XL7 in 30-06, and some cheap 3-9X40 scope. Then there is the camo that, for my purposes, could be picked up at Walmart. My question is, what am I missing that is necessary or what do you use, that makes your hunt more fun/successful? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Well you have a gun, scope, and camo off of the list. Like Whitetail Assassin said a treestand is probably needed too. Maybe some scent killing spray to eliminate any human odors. Good Luck to you and welcome to the DHC.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas yall. I think the hunting he goes too furnishes the tree stands, but I will look into it. I have also heard about a range finder? Does it help?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
A range finder helps when distance judging is a problem and really shouldn't be necessary for deer hunting at ranges of 50-200 yds providing your using a scope.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
you dont need a tree stand tons of deer are taken from the ground and its a lot safer for novices.A hunting license ,you will also need a knife for gutting a rope to drag your deer binnoculars are a good idea a daypack to tote your stuff,warm cloths good boots some hand warmers gloves a hat a blaze orange vest is a good idea too.the list can be endless but these are the basics.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have the xl7 in 270. and i couldent be happier. good choice. but as far as the scent blocker. me and my brother read on line that one of the best scent blockers is a 50/50 mix of dydrogen peroxide and water. put it in a spray bottle and your good to go. we havent used it yet. so if you decide to let us know how it works. but other than what everyone els said. have fun. and good luck man.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What you should also buy if you can:

1) A bore cleaning kit for your rifle.
2) A good flashlight or maglite (if you don’t have one).
3) A deer grunt call is also useful but not really needed.
4) A compass (Just in case).

What to also bring on the hunt besides the obvious:

1) A deer gutting kit: Some rubber gloves or pack of hand wipes/paper towels (you can also use for following a blood trial as markers), and a zip lock bag to put the heart, liver and Kidneys in.
2) A watch or your cell phone (on mute) for the time.
3) A Pen
4) A camera (optional)

Have a great time and good luck hunting!

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Don't forget the Knife and Deer Drag or a rope...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts