Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start off saying I'm not a deer hunter, but i have recently moved and everyone I have met through work, church or neighbors are big deer hunters. So, i am interested in starting next deer season.
My question is about picking a rifle to use. I am looking to purchase a rifle now so I can get alot of range time before next year. I am needing something with low recoil due to the fact that i have dislocated my shoulder three times in the last two years.(not a good experiance).
I have done alot of internet research on low recoil rifles and managed-recoil ammo. My sepcific question is, is it better to go with a .308win or 30-06 using managed recoil ammo (wt. 125) that has the energy of 1148 ft/lbs @ 200 YDS., or use a smaller caliber rifle like a .243, .257 etc. that delivers more energy @200 YDS.

Any input would be appreciated...

G

·
RE: I think origi

RE: I think originally that area was part of Paccar, back in the old days when they actlauly did things related to railroads. Part of it was also associated with the truck factory. At any rate is was real industrial capacity, not just parking lots, which came later.In some ways Seattle is well prepared for a re-industrialization as we still have a working steel mill in the area. I know it operates well below capacity, but could ramp up if America/Seattle ever wanted to use steel for heavy industry or manufacturing. And Alcoa (aluminum) is still big in Spokane, also well under capacity. We aren't dead yet, but the turn has to come soon or we'll even have to buy the raw manufacturing equipment from overseas, and I'm not sure they'll be willing to trade for our $5 coffees. Rate this comment: 0 0

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rifle selection for new hunter

You are about to have alot of fun, it's a great sport. I would recommend the following ideas for you to consider. A bolt action will have the nicest trigger of the various action types. A short action caliber possibly a .260/ 120gr or a 7mm-08/140gr. Either of these are perfect for deer. One other thing that I like about bolt actions is the stock design is usually very straight and that helps with recoil control, unlike the stock on lever actions that tend to have alot of drop in their design. I don't know what amount of money you are planning on spending, but I would budget around 150.00 for just the rifle scope. A good scope in that range will not cause you problems and last a lifetime. One good bolt action rifle to consider is the new Marlin xs7. The rifle sells for under 300.00, with the scope you are looking at around 500.00. One trap to stay very far away from is the lure of the magnum calibers. Unless you are going to be hunting out west they are more power, noise, and kick then you ever want. They have some real advantages, but they come at a large cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if recoil could dislocate my shoulder or not but i would rather error on the side of caution. I agree with the shot placement. Most of the research i have done, I have figured out that a good shot with a smaller caliber is better the a bad shot with a big one. As far as distance, 200 max.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'd say go with the .243. It's a"light" cartridge by anyone's standards, and can get the job done on any deer at ranges up to 200 yards. It's easy to find ammo for this rifle just about any place, and you won't have to break the bank paying for it. This round should have less recoil than the reduced .270 or 30/06 rounds.
In over 20years of professional taxidermy work, the largest bull elk I ever mounted was killed with a .243. One shot dropped the bull in it's tracks.
Also keep in mind that there are lots of factors to recoil. Rifle weight can reduce the recoil if you don't mind the extra http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Cjtarinelli/?action=view&current=Img0069.jpg&newest=1pound or so. Also, consider a good recoil pad if the rifle doesn't come with one.
Here's a picture of the elk mount:

·
Registered
19 Posts
i agree onehorse, a good recoil pad can make all the the difference. a buddy of mine has a limbsaver recoil pad on his ruger 7mag. its all composit stock, very light weight and it produces less recoil with that pad than my 30-30 does. if recoil is a factor in choosing your new rifle consider a good recoil pad to give yourself a few more options

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say go with a .270. I have shot many rifles and my favorite has always been the 270. I have also had dislocated shoulders before and have never had a problem with my rifles. give it a try and i'll bet on a good experience and many seasons ahead for you. good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts