Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm the new kid on the block, so forgive me if I put this on the wrong forum,
I'm certainly not new to hunting but I haven't had to buy a new deer rifle in quite a while.

I'm interested in the Mossberg 4X4 or the Marlin X7 series rifles. If some of you
experienced folks could share your knowledge, I'd appreciate it. Thank-you!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
im a big fan of mossbergs. never owned a 4x4 but they look nice. i have 3 mossberg 500's and never have had an issue with them. but i also know im gona cach alot of flac from the guys for being a mossberg fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hunt NH,
I appreciate the reply. I guess it'll just be me and you. I was hoping to gather info on either the Mossberg or Marlin.:sad:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Welcome to the forum from ANOTHER Texan!!

Sorry I can't help much with your request, I'm mainly a Savage and Remington fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks rdrader2000,
I appreciate the reply! I'm typically a Ruger and Remington guy. I've had lot's of health problems and had to sell ALL my guns. So since I'm now on fixed income
I've got to pick up something a little cheaper.

I see your from Central Texas, I sold my place on Lake Buchanan 4 yrs ago.
Have a great 4th!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site Charlie. I'm not a big fan of Mossbergs but have one a 835 I believe, 3-1/2 12ga mag and sold a youth 20 ga 500. I hear you on the need to economize and I think the Mossberg fits that need pretty well. I think for similar money a used Rem wingmaster would fit your budget also. Good luck on the health issues! I didn't see the rifle part of the question my mistake, same feelings though. Find a good Rem 700 used.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Savage or Marlin X7 rifle for me. I'm just not a Mossberg guy. The TC Venture bolt actions rifles are around $450 and they're MOA guaranteed, sounds like a great value.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not a big fan of any of these rifles. But, I have handled a T/C Venture and thought it was an absolute P O S ! Of the rifles mentioned here, the Marlin has has WAY, WAY, WAY, more good things said about it than the others.

Best of luck with whatever you get!

Me, I'd look for an older, post '64 Win or M700 Rem USED!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
oh ya almost forgot. i got a mossber 100 ATR .270. nice little gun for the $$$$ although i would much rather have a ruger hawkeye in the same calleber.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have recommended the Marlin XL7 to several with good feedback

My neibor bought a couple of the Mossberg bolt actions for his kids and they are satisfied with them. Personally I think that you get a better deal with the Marlin XL7. You get a good action, good barrel, and a clean trigger. That is all you have to have for it to perform well. I would get one of the ones that has a scope base with multiple forward ring positions on it. The barrel attaches similar to what Savage uses on their 110 action. Their version of the accutrigger is again a copy of the Savage trigger. The rifle has a blind magazine, it isn't as handy as a dropping floor plate but if they had to cut cost that is not a bad place to safe some. I really think for the price of around 300.xx nothing can touch it. I was just reading a comparison in I Shooting Times of six entry level rifles <500 list price.
The two they wouldn't buy with their own money were the Remington 770 and the Savage Axis.

Karl

G

·
mossberg 4x4 .270

Hi i have a mossberg .270 its a very nice gun but im having problems with sighting it in. Every shot that i fire is different just like the scope is loose. I checked the scope for looseness an every th i
ng is tight

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hi Mossberg 4x4 270 owner..

You have run into the problem of a bad scope. I would bet that this came with the Rifle as package. These packages add a scope for almost nothing because that is what they are worth, nothing. If you can pull together about 150 dollars you will be able to buy one that will last a lifetime. I really like the Redfield Revolutions, or the Nikons. There are better scopes available then these but you will get 90% of the quality for 33% of the price.

Karl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts