Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I might have already submitted this once. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new bowhunter in Washington. The only hunting I've done in the past was with rifle. But I'm in college now and don't have much time to hunt during the school year, so I decided to take advantage of early bow seasons. Plus its always seemed way better than rifle. I just picked up a Pearson Stealth. Does anyone have tips for good shooting form? I was shooting last week and now am really sore. Has this ever happened to anyone else, or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm Sure You Are Doing Nothing Wrong Your Just Using Muscles You Never Used Before So Yeah Your Going To Be Sore.but The More You Shoot The Less Sore You Will Be.how Much Lbs Are You Shooting?could Be To Much?.i Shoot Nearly 80lbs But I Practice Alotin The Summer At 70 Lbs To Use The Muscles And Get Them Conditioned So To Speak.then I Crank It Up To 80 And Start Practicing All Over Again.when You Shoot Don't Hold The Bow Tight Because What Happens Is When The Bow Is Held Tight It Will Tork The Bow One Way Or The Other And Accuracy Will Be Hard To Achieve.allways Have The Anchor Point In The Same Place Each And Every Time.i'm A Righty So My Left Side Is Allway Facing The Target.i Don't Know If It Is The Correct Way But It Works For Me.but Practice,practice,practice.i Love To Bow Hunt Because You Have To Have The Animal So Close.anybody Please Correct Me If I'm Wrong.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
welcome to the campfire.this topic gets brought up a lot .so look around im sure you'll find pleanty of tips.as for being sore .my guess would be .you were excited,which is good ,and ya overdid it.I try to shoot no more than 1 hr sessions .Ive been shooting since i was a kid so my muscles are "trained" already.i will typically shoot everyday when im getting ready for the season but ill only shoot a few arrows and then come back.i have a block type target that fits in the trunck so i can shoot anywhere but i mostly shoot in my basement.when your hunting you usually only get one shot so you want to make it count.for now just shoot fewer arrows think quality over quantity:coffee:best of luck to ya and feel free to join in any topics ya want."the only dumb questions are those that aren't asked"

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow 80, in my dreams. I start at 62 and am going to try and work my way to 72 or 75. Soreness at first, you bet. Practice, practice, practice just try to always shoot the same way . Consistantcy, can you repeat the shot over and over, time after time? Then that is your form. Still trying to find mine, dead on standing, but now going to work on different positions. Kneeling, sitting, treestand, want to be familiar with each shot when the shot presents itself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
First of all you do not need a ton of poundage. I know some really big strong guys that shoot at 55lbs. Speed does not kill, accuracy does. Keep your shooting down to 10 or 15 arrows with all your concentration on form and perfect shot placement. Over working your arms will only lead to bad form. Try to shoot every other day for these short periods of time and you will become deadly. Think of quality not quantity.:coffee:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
First of all you do not need a ton of poundage. I know some really big strong guys that shoot at 55lbs. Speed does not kill, accuracy does. Keep your shooting down to 10 or 15 arrows with all your concentration on form and perfect shot placement. Over working your arms will only lead to bad form. Try to shoot every other day for these short periods of time and you will become deadly. Think of quality not quantity.:coffee:
mmmmmmmmmmm where have we heard that before :unsure:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
no problem just messing around toooooo much COFFEE :coffee:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks everyone for the tip. Its definately not poundage because I'm only shooting at 53 :sad:. I think I just overdid it right off the bat. But thank you all for the tips, I can't wait to get back out there and start shooting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
FIRST OF ALL YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A STRONG GUY TO PULL 80LBS. I PRACTICE ALOT AND WORKED MY WAY UP TO THE 80LBS. I DON'T HAVE A RANGE FINDER SO I GUESS THE YARDAGE(THERES A NAME FOR IT DISTINCTIVE SHOOTER NOT TO SURE) SO HAVEING THE EXTRA LBS IS NICE JUST IN CASE I MISS JUDGE MY YARDAGE.I HAVE SHOT MANY DEER WITH MY METHOD.JUST TRYING TO SHOW INTEREST IN HELPING OTHERS TRYING TO BE NICE.I DIDN'T SEE ANY PROBLEM WITH IT.IF I DID I'M SORRY:no:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't think anyone had a problem with your draw weight. I hope it did not sound like that. It was more meant that a lot of new archery shooters want to go right up to those heavy draw weights. With todays new bows it is not nessesary to do that. There are bows out today that shoot over 300 with 60lbs draw. Even if you own an older bow the point was about judging range and perfect form are most important. Sorry, was not meant the way you took it.:sadbanana:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the majority of the people who hunt shoot 60-70 pound draw weights .this is from talking with people at the range and on line.i shoot 65 but i dont shoot past 40yrds and prefer 20-30.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Its No Problem At All.i Just Don't Want You Guys To Think That I'm Some Hot Headed Ny'er That Thinks He Knows Everything.i'm One Of The Most Honest,caring,understanding Person Anybody Could Ever Meet.i Just Want To Make Friends.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Whitetailfever, I hear ya no problem. I would like to increase mine for the same reason. When someone says speed doesn't kill accuracy does it sometimes rubs me the wrong way too. Glad someone else sees it the way I do, in that the poundage and increased speed is in order to achieve more accuracy. ie flatter trajectory in case yardage is off. I think it's called Instinctive but anyway don't let it get to you , everyone has their own style and if the new guys don't hear all of them then how can they choose for themselves. It's all about sharing knowledge and experiences .

As for wmi and Joel, well I've seen their posts in the past and these guys know their stuff. They are great outdoorsmen with great hunting ethics. They care about the sport, the animals, and the people in the hunting community. I , for one, still have the utmost respect for them even if we disagree in one area or another.:thumbup:

·
Registered
517 Posts
THANK YOU TURTLE,I TO HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT FOR THESE GUYS AND EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM. I DON'T DOUBT THEIR ADVISE AT ALL YEAH I HAVE BEEN A HUNTER FOR A LONG TIME BUT I STILL NEED ADVISE,TIPS ETC....I GUESS I'M JUST TRYING TO HARD TO FIT IN :no:I LIKE THESE SMILIES LOL

·
Registered
790 Posts
Whitetailfever I have a problem. A lot of times I get so excited about deer hunting that I try too hard to help others. I live to deer hunt 365 days a year. If I'm not in the woods studing their habits I'm reading about them, talking about them, asking questions about them. I have trail cams coming out my ears and log books that go back 20 years. Forgive me because with all of this stored up inside sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. I love to teach as much as I love to learn. Sometimes I get carried away.:pickle:

·
Registered
517 Posts
WMI I REPECT YOU TO THE FULLEST AND EVERYBODY ELSE THAT IS WILLING TO HELP A FELLOW HUNTER IN ANYWAY AS POSSIBLE.I GET ALITTLE EXCITED TO ITS NO PROBLEM AT ALL .I UNDERSTAND.:w00t:I REALLY LIKE THIS FORUM AND POSTED AND REPLIED TO MANY THINGS ALLREADY AND I'M NOT EVEN A WEEK OLD IN THIS FORUM.I BLONG TO A FISHING FORUM TO AND MAN ITS A TOTLALLY DIFFERENT.NOT AS GOOD AS THIS ONE.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
whitetailfever, I was inform maybe you could help me on a good set field binoculars, I've heard good things about the Nikon's for the price. I will be using them out west as well as midwest. What's your suggestions? I need to be under 500.00. Thanks from the Hunting Man.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a ton of friends in NY and I don't know about the most relaxed but they sure are the most fun to be around.:pickle:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts