Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are considering taking up Bow hunting to extend our season next year. The 12 day season here in Kansas is a real disappointment we are used to having 30 plus days of rifle hunting in Louisiana. Neither of us have ever shot a Bow Where should we start in deciding what type and strength of bow to buy, he is 15 6'0 tall and about 215. I am 4 months removed from shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and remove years of spurs built up from the many abuses I put my body through playing football.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Darn your son is a big boy. Hope your shoulder heals well just stick with PT if given by the Dr. You got to get that back up to strength. I would say go to your local sports shop and let them guide you. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
look into a bow called razors edge by diamond made by bowtech their inexpensive and fuully adjustable in draw and poundage they will try to talk you into more expensive gear its desinged for youths but more than aquedate for deer at 60lb model and uptp 29 inch draw and fast just be sure not to go to heavy in arrow weight good luck and i hope this was helpfull i ran an archery shop for 18yrs im more than qualified you can find the bows at dicks sporting goods for around 350 all set up goto bowtechs web site and veiw them they are a great place to start and more than resonable:ibtl:

G

·
i have a bear lights out it goes from 50-70 pounds i believe for you with having shoulder surgery i would probably start shooting off at lighter weights your son sounds like he wouldnt have any problems shooting 60 or 70 pounds but make sure you shoot what you feel comfortable with sometimes when it gets cold out it can be kind of hard to draw your bow in the stand especially if your shooting too much weight i know when i maxed my bow out it says 50-70 but it actually maxed out around 75 so i backed it off a bit

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn your son is a big boy. Hope your shoulder heals well just stick with PT if given by the Dr. You got to get that back up to strength. I would say go to your local sports shop and let them guide you. Good luck.
Yeah he is I am a football coach and he is a defensive lineman. I think my hands on our shoulder on approach to coaching is the reason for my recent surgery. couple more years and he's off to K-state

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Why subject your child to that horrible state and those ugly uniforms?!?!?

The black and gold of MIZZOU would look much better on him....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts