Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, bought a new deer rifle yesterday. Got the 200 Stevens by Savage and I also picked up a Nikon Prostaff, 3-9X40 scope. I have Burris rings and bases on order from Midway USA. Here are some pics:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, though I included the caliber. At first I was gonna grab the .30-06 but the .270 is what I ended up bringing home. I'm happy, I absolutely can NOT wait til I get the scope mounted and a couple rounds through it.

G

·
don't think you could have gone wrong either way. although i've never owned a .270 don't think i've ever heard a bad word about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did alot of looking around and that's what pretty much everyone said. I'm anxious to get the stuff from Midway. I've had many people tell me it should be a great set-up.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
that stevens model 200 is a really good shooter, I had one and my hunting partner Phillip hunts with the same model except he chose the .30-06 and loves it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I've been searchin around the internet about breaking in a new barrel. I've read that you should do it "this way" and then there are articles that I've read that say it really isn't necessary. I did see the thread on here that has something from Savage's website but it wasn't even one of their own tech's writing it. What is everyone's opinion? Is there an abbreviated way to do it? I want to shoot the rifle as son as possible but ammo is extremely scarce in my area right now and I don't want to have to spend alot of time looking for more just for this purpose...

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Very nice looking gun!!! Sounds like a fun time headed your way with the new scope-new gun. I really like the Native American emblem stamped on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got her back from the shop today. Had the scope mounted and bore sighted. All I got to do now is wait on the bore guide and some other misc. cleaning things to come in and I'll be set. Here are some pics.

G

·
those rings and mounts look like good ones. they look just like leupold. i would break in the barrel. this is how i do it.
clean the gun. I use the bore snake. cleaning from the chamber to the muzzle.
fire one shot and this can be junk ammo
clean with bore snake
fire 2 rounds junk ammo sighting in with junk ammo
clean with bore snake
fire 3 rounds
clean with bore snake
now switch ammo to what you are going to be hunting with
fire 4 rounds while sighting it in with the new ammo
clean with bore snake
fire 5 rounds for group
clean with bore snake
you can go to 10 rounds and thats the way i was told to do it but i stop at 5. take your time to let the barrel cool

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ronn, the rings are Leupolds and the bases are Burris. I had a set of Burris rings but I didn't realize the scope wouldn't span the length of the action without an extension ring. The shop took the rings I had on trade and I paid the difference. Cost me a few more dollars but I'm quite happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts