Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt in Jefferson Co. Georgia on my private owned land. Im havin some trouble tryin to figure out what to do.. Where i hunt i have a 5 acre bermuda hay field with a decent slope. At the bottom of the field are really think hardwoods for about 100 yrds then it opens up to a mature hardwood bottom.. the problem is it drops about 75 feet (n..early vertical) to a flat swamp bottom with a creek running thru it.. deer use this bottom as a funnel but im having trouble setting up the right way with this major hillside.. Any tips? (there is also i scrape line on top of hill and rubs all over) Thanks!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Those are good sign from last year and shows the travel route(s) of bucks. The deer are most likely leaving the swamp bottom using common routes to the hardwoods and hay field. You may just be the one hunter that might want to try a couple of turkey decoys along the hardwoods using the field with the turkey decoys to give the all clear sign to the deer. I've never gave out this kind of suggestion but some here say it works. I would concentrate on locating this years rub & scrape lines when they're made and set up for a buck. Locating a travel route right in the swamp with good sized tracks might be worth it too, just stay really clean as you're scent will tend to stay low. I assume bugs are a major problem in your state so that might prevent the swamp hunting? Standing water = snakes and not for me. Need some better info from some of our southern hunters.

G

·
Ive never thought about the turkey decoy thing, that make sense especially since the deer are really skiddish here. Im the only hunter on this 100 acre area and i dont put much pressure on them. The same scrape line has been used for the past 4-5 years. I harvested a nice buck out of this swamp 2 years ago, im very confident that there are bigger in there because of the signs.. Mosquitos are the biggest problem in the swamp but they disappear middle to end october. I usually sit on the ground on top of the big hill where i can watch the bottom but im in the middle of some heavy trails there.. never reall put much effort into being scent free, i just spray down with scent killer before the hunt. Am i spooking the deer by sitting near the trails

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am rifle hunting but the farther i back off the lees of the swamp bottom i can see.. I have only had one deer come in on top of me and i generally see 2-3 does or small bucks in the botton each hunt.. deer are just changing how they work this area and i cant figure it out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe you should try putting a ladder stand up and trying get off the ground. do you go down into the bottom any? if so maybe you leaving to much sent down there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i try not to go in the bottom unless i have to. A stand might could work but ive never been in the air so i dont know if it would make my view better or worse.. what is the best way to make sure in scent free?

·
Registered
2 Posts
well try finding a tree to climb if u have a climber that way u dont have to drag a big stand in there and find out u cant use it. and scent free keep ur hunting close separated from your daily clothes. and keep them washed in scent free detergent and keep a spray bottle with u to keep urself sprayed down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will try with a climber.. i can get that in the woods without making alot of noise.. The hay field that i mentioned in the 1st post of this thread.. is it best to plsnt it or lrave it natural?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts