Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I need your help, I'm new to hunting and I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. Some of you may have read an earlier post about the Mossberg ATR 100 that I was thinking about purchasing based on value, well since then I've looked at alot of rifles and have finally decided on the Tikka T3 camo stainless. when it comes to shopping I'm the type of guy that likes to research everything at home and then go to the store and walk in and walk out. So my question is about calibers, the rifle is offered in short, medium, long action and magnum, what does all this mean? I know some basics as far as calibers but need some help and what's best for the type of hunting I will be doing. Where I will be hunting I will have several different scenarios available to me. Most of my time will be spent in a ground blind in a heavily wooded area with the longest possible shot about 100 yards. I will also have the ability to hunt from a shooting house with a possible shot of up to 350+ yards . From what I've read alot og guys are using the 300 mag caliber in this rifle for an all around shooter. Recoil is not an issue for me, I would prefer a rather powerful caliber in case I get into some big game hunting as my interest in hunting grows. On my first hunt this year I used my father-in-law's .270 and have shot it quite a bit since mid-November and am real comfortable with it. Well sorry about the long post but I know I will get accurate info here versus some mumbo jumbo from a kid behind the sporting goods department counter.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Well Mr BukSeker I may be in the same boat as you because I really don't understand all that short medium long action etc. either. I do know this though. I've used a 30-06 for a long time now and it has come through for me in tight cover and open areas many times. All I've ever used was an 06 really, and it gives a pretty good variety of loads (150gr, 165gr, 180gr, etc.) and many different makers and models. I trust my 06 in close and out far. I don't know anything about Tikka T3, sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, right now it's between the .300 mag, 30.06 and the .270, probally in that order. I like the idea of all the different grain available for the 30.06. Is it true that the .270 and .300 mag is alot more flat shooting caliber (better accuracy?) than 06, just what I heard. I think I will just base it on the caliber and throw all the short, medium , long action stuff out the window, I'm pretty sure the deer wont tell the difference!! Thanks for the input and everybody have a very happy hoilday!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
BukSeker, I've had all the calibers that you are considering and lots of different rifles over the fifty or so years that I have been hunting. I recently bought a Tikka 3 Lite Stanless, in .270WSM and think it's GREAT. The most accurate rifle out-of-the-box I've ever owned. It's guaranteed to shoot under 1 inch, 3 shot groups @ 100 yards, and it does every time! So, you've got the right rifle for your situation. This season I shot an antelope buck and 4x4 whitetail with it - not at very long reanges, but I've practiced with it out to 420 yards, and, although I personally think that distance is pushing it with any caliber in a hunting situation, this caliber does get out there! As for caliber: My Tikka .270WSM shoots much flatter than anything else I've had (.308, 30/06, .270, .280, etc.) Sighted-in for 200 yards, it's only 1.5 inch high @ 100. So far, I've been loading 130 AccuBonds and Hornady Interlocks, but am considering going to the Barnes TSX. I also shoot a Rem Model 7 in 300WSM which shoots almost as flat, but does have more recoil. I would recommend the 270WSM with 130s or the 300WSM with 150 or 165 grainers for your situation. But just to not offend anyone on the caliber issue, it has to be understood that all those calibers will do the job just fine, provided you know the ranges at which you are shooting and what you and your rifle can do at those ranges. Nothing (no "special" caliber or rifle) takes the place of practice and experience! Good luck with your new rifle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The action refers to the size of the round that the rifle is chambered in. Like the 30.06 is long action and the .308 is short action. I really don't know much about the magnum chambering, but they are used mostly for hunting the large dangerous game.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The 300 mags will kill everything that walks, the question is is it necessary. All the calibers you listed are great proven deer getters so you can't go wrong on your choise. There seems to be a new trend that you need magumn rifles to kill game, nothing could be farther than the truth. Most rifles/calibers will kill farther that normal humans can accurately shoot. So it comes down to preference, cost of ammo/rifle and how many guns you might add later in life which will negate the need fior the magumn now for deer.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The action refers to the size of the round that the rifle is chambered in. Like the 30.06 is long action and the .308 is short action. I really don't know much about the magnum chambering, but they are used mostly for hunting the large dangerous game.
Here's the scoop on some of these terms:
action refers to the mechanism that moves the cartiridges through the rifle - from the magazine and into/out of the chamber. A bolt action does this by means of a handle that's connected directly to the side of the bolt; lever actions use a lever (usually part of the trigger guard) that's connected to a linkage system that connects to the bolt; semi-autos usually use a gas-porting and spring mechanism that are located inside the forearm; pump actions have a forearm that slides a linkage that connects to the bolt.
chamber refers to that part of the barrel where the cartridge is located during the actual firing of the rifle.
bullet refers to the part of the cartridge that actually leaves the muzzle. (Although by tradition it is aslo used to mean the whole cartridge.)
cartridge refers to the assembled bullet, powder, case (shell) and primer.
caliber refers to the size of the bullet - the diameter - although in the U.S. this is not always the case. Example: in 30/06 the "30" stands for the bullet diameter (actually .308 inch) and the "06" stands for the year (1906) that this cartridge was made the standard for the U.S. military rifle. This sometimes can get really confusing when you consider that the 44 Rem mag actually measures .429 inch; the 30/30 Win measures .307 ; the .270 Win measures .277; the .280 Rem measures .284, etc. The 30/06, 300 Savage, 300 Weatherby mag, 308 Win., 300 Win. mag, .308 Norma mag, 300 WSM, and several other rifles shoot the exact same .308 inch diameter bullet, but the cartridges are NOT interchangeable because the cases and chambers are all different sizes. The European system of using millimeters is more accurate. For example: 7 mm measures 7mm; the 6mm measures 6mm, etc.
As for magnums: the easiest way to explain this is that "magnum" usually means nothing more than a case or shell that has a relatively large powder capacity. Which usually means higher velocities from the same diameter bullets. For example (and putting this all together): because it's case is much larger, the .300 Win. magnum shoots its .308 diameter bullet several hundred feet per second faster than the same bullet out of the 30/06 or the .308 Win. Magnums are used when hunting dangerous game, but also in situations where especially long shots may be required. However, most cartridges that are considered suitable for big game, in the first place, can do as well as magnums under most circumstances.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info guys!! That is exactly what I was looking for. From the sounds of it I think I will be just fine with a .270 or the .300. The only reason I wanted a bigger cailber is if like I stated earlier, my hunting passion snowballs and I get into some larger game. I don't want to spend $800 - $1200 for a rifle & scope package and down the road feel like I need something larger for whatever reason and have to purchase another rifle. From what I gather if I stay within my shooting limits I should be able to put down any large game in north america with the above cailbers. Should be picking it up this week, can't wait to get to the range and put a few rounds through it!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congratualtions, BukSeker!
As a young hunter, you have already figured out one of the MOST important elements of good hunting - which is hunting and shooting within your own ability. As one of the "old-timers" in this group, let me say, "I'm proud of you!"
Now I'll go out on a limb and make a recommendation: For a do-it-all, moderate recoil, flat-shooting, extremely accurate rifle, I like the .280 Rem. Some of the newer commercial loads for this cartridge push a 140 grain bullet at close to 7mm Mag. vcelocities (3,000+ fps). When you talk about the possibility of using your new rifle for years to come on larger game, let me tell you that the .280 was the only rifle I had for over 15 years, and it dropped everything from 90 pound antelope to large mule deer and bull elk in their tracks. It's about the same as a .270Win, but can shoot a heavier bullet. Anyway, good luck with your rifle and your hunting!

·
Registered
221 Posts
well I dont know much about guns and their as you say mumbo jumbo but well Ive heard a 30-06 is like a multi use gun that is the most sold gun in the us and well idk but maby you should chek into that

·
Registered
1 Posts
finding a perfect gun

I had a Howa Modle 1500 300 Win. Mag. and let me tell you what, it was one of the most accurate guns I have (well did have) but it felt like somebody hit you in the shoulder with a sleg. I also have a savage .223 that i absolutely love. I have shot a .243 semi-auto for 5 years when I was younger that was my dad's and that thing was unbelieveable. That gun has been so great and accurate for so many years, believe it or not we actually wore down the firing pin and had to have a new one put in. I have been doing some research for quite awhile and I found a gun that i fell in love with and how comfortable i am with it. Its the Mossberg 4x4 300 Win. Mag. I have yet to shot it tomorrow and I can't wait. I have heard so many great things about it and how there is not much recoil to it. As far as a all around gun, I would have to say 30-06. It does wonders on Elk but will blow a coyotes head apart. But like you said when it comes to money, I know what your saying, I stopped at Cabela's on my way home and looked at some guns and they wanted $650 for the Mossberg but when I checked at a local gun store, it was $200 cheaper and exactly as the one at Cabela's. It wouldn't hurt to check at local gun store's. Sometimes you can get alot better deal on guns and ammo. The Mossberg comes in many cal.'s and i believe all of them have the monte carlo (cheek rest) that whenever you bring your gun up, it feels great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts