Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and to muzzle loading. After a terrible season this year in northern Wi. my friends and I decided to try ML for next season. The three of us have 3 different views on first timer guns. I've read review after review on Cabelas site and multiple others only to get more confused $140 gun vs. $500 gun..OY

The low end winner seems to be the CVA Wolf the higher end T/C Bone Collector. The mid range that I thought looked good but haven't really seen any reviews on is the Traditions Vortech, does anyone here have any input on this rifle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vortek

I sent you a private message of a site to go to to read about the Vortek. Not allowed to put sites on public forums.

G

·
i truly believe you get what you pay for most times. after looking at them for years and years and owning one i'm not a cva fan. i love the savage smokeless ml. savage is the only one i know of that you can use smokeless.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought a brand new Knight KP1 last year for $200 and haven't looked back since. I was going to buy a CVA Wolf but a luckily a guy told me where a really good deal was.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Lonetour welcome to the site. There are a lot of good folks on here that will give you great information.
As far as a muzzleloader one thing to be considered is how much to spend,
the fellows above gave some good insight but if you want to spend more, I don't know how much you hunt, a Thompson Pro Hunter is great because you then have the base platform for a lot of calibers. But it can get expensive real fast! I may also depend if your significant other doesn't mind.
Just a thought, all the above will do the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! Daddus I looked at the Pro Hunter at Cabellas last week and yep it can get pretty expensive. They had an action in the showcase for $440 then I would just need to get the barrel for another $335 not a bad way to go but I don't really need the versatility.
Joem the article Toby wrote is what got me interested in the Vortech originally. It sounded like an awesome gun and it's about $200 less than the T/C Bone Collector.
I just can't find any reviews from people that have actually hunted with it. I liked the idea of a ported barrel but it seems like that would be just another way moisture can get in as well. So I'm not really sure that would be practical either,it can get pretty wet in Wi and IL where I hunt.
Oh well the search goes on! Thanks again !

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
The Traditions Vortek Muzzleloader? I don't have one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I forgot to mention that you can get different barrels for the Knight KP1. Rimfire, shotgun and rifle. The rifle barrels are about $100 less the T/C barrels.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would not hesitate on the Vortek. If I was going to get a new black powder gun it would be between this and a CVA Accura. Whatever you decide on, I would definitely go with a break open and hand removeable breach plug, way more painless than digging out the wrench each time to clean up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those were definitely the features I was looking for Tom. Just wish I could find someone that actually hunts with the Traditions Vortech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wish i could give you more insight on the vortek I dont own one but I do own a traditions buckstalker. I can tell you I am very pleased with the fit, finish and performance of my rifle as well as the ease of cleaning.

I can only imagine if I had the ported barrel, hand removable breech plug and drop out trigger assembly how much more enjoyable it would make my hunting and especially range time.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would spend some more time looking. TC products are probably the top of the line. The TC triumph is a great mid priced gun and a great shooter. I own three TC muzzleloaders, if I were spending a couple of hundred bucks TC is the only way I'd go. I do consider resale value a bit when buying , some don't, but hands down TC will net you more dollars if you ever consider selling one. 2 cents worth from a TC guy :wink:

G

·
I would spend some more time looking. TC products are probably the top of the line. The TC triumph is a great mid priced gun and a great shooter. I own three TC muzzleloaders, if I were spending a couple of hundred bucks TC is the only way I'd go. I do consider resale value a bit when buying , some don't, but hands down TC will net you more dollars if you ever consider selling one. 2 cents worth from a TC guy :wink:
X2

good point on the resale hm

·
Registered
37 Posts
well on the muzzleloader the wolf aint bad but it isnt the best. i personaly shoot a cva optima elite with the stainless steel barrel. and it just cost 400 dollars. so its in between both prices u said earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts