Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I want to go deer hunting this season but theres a long list of thingsI don't know like where to go hunting in Ca and what to do once I take a deer. Unfortunately I have no friends or relatives that hunt soI dont have anyone to take me under their wing. Any Information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is so much, I don't know how you could learn it all in a forum. I think you have to find a guy, somehow. I don't know, but maybe through one of the social networking sites that are out there. Problem is, I wouldn't feel all that comfy going in the woods with an armed stranger. Getting Deliverence flashbacks. Squeal boy!

I'm sure there are smarter guys than I that will give you some good tips. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
welcome 252

chris i would suggest going to your library and get some books on starting out.The short track would be if you could find somebody knowledgable on the type of hunting you want to do.If not dont be intimated go out yourself and each time in the woods you will learn a little more.The biggest responsibility is to get proficent with your weapon.Believe me we our all still learning.Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Welcome to the DHC Chris, the home of hardcore outdoor enthusiasts/sportsman. There's so much advice one could give and being a new hunter I would suggest that you get familiar with your state laws, requirements, hunting season dates etc. Do check back here frequently because I think you will get alot of responses from some great people here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Chris,
I guess the place to start is, What do you think you would like to hunt?
and with what? The forum is broken down by subject such as bow hunting, muzzle loader, rifle and handgun. and there are also some basic or general section where almost anything hunting related can be discused. A good place to start would be right here doing some reading and asking questions. If you dont get an answer right away, check back a little later, its going to be getting a lot busier here in the next month as the new season approaches. Oh wow, just 71 days till deer season!
BTW, welcome.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I imagine your state requires a first time hunter to take the Hunter Firearms or Bowhunter Education course. That's a place that will not only give you information on how to handle a weapon, but you might meet someone who is willing to help. You might also check to see if there is a local gun club or some sort of hunters' association in your area. (You could find out about these at any local sporting goods store.) And, of course, stay right here and ask questions. Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Here's a link to the GUIDE TO HUNTING DEER IN CALIFORNIA

Try and locate a CA. State Wildlife Fish/Game Club, they will be willing to provide you with all the information and resources you'll need to get on track.

Good Luck

·
Registered
852 Posts
A self confessed gun nut...

You are going to be on a steep learning curve for awhile. I would start by going to a bunch of gun shops. Ask alot of questions, ask to handle rifles that they recommend for you to be considering for deer hunting. Ask about where you can get into a hunter safety class and what rifle range is the easiest to use near you. When you are ready to buy this group will be happy to throw their ideas your way about what is a great starter rifle for you.

Karl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts