Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there guys, as an avid angler for most of my life, I decided to take the plunge this summer and go for my hunting/firearms course this summer. I passed both successful and have already purchased my 12gau.shotgun already threw a family member (whos registered) as I recieve my PAL (Ontario CANADA). My question is re: hunting clothing, i'm 5'7, 160lb (med.) and looking to purchase a set of jacket/bibs & pants, I guess the question i'm asking is there anything out there for the most bang for your buck (no pun intended) or any particular manufacturers to stay away from? the parka I was looking at is Browning XPO Grand Passage 4in1 along with the pants & bibs and was hoping this can be my outfit for hunting deer & turkey etc along with small game.......possibly moose down the road as well
How important is goretex? and is better to get a 4in1 or buy 2 seperate jackets, one heavier for deer and lighter for turkey depending on temps etc?
Any info...will be appreciated

Thx

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
fish- camo comes in all sorts of colors and prices! you can go to wal-mart and get camo clothing for cheap, or you can go to the bass pros or cabela's and spend the same amount or up to $200+. Basically, buy what you want... personally i'm not going to spend $160 for a pair of bibs, when I can just wear an extra layer and buy the wal-mart brand for $60. There's no point in it to me. Just make sure whatever you buy, that you also buy scent free washing detergent. keep your clothes clean, and spray yourself down repeatedly (with scent eliminator spray). I've seen guys come out of bass pro w/$1,000 of camo clothing and all they have is a coat, bibs, and some under armor clothing warm clothing. you can get the same stuff for cheaper, maybe not fully the same quality, but hey, close enough.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Mostly depends on the weather your going to hunt in. I found out pretty fast only the top quality clothing will fill my needs. I do purchase hunting clothes at Cabela's and Bass Pro shops and yes they are expensive. There are times hunting that the clothes are the most important hunting item that you will ever purchase. It all depends on the weather. Ask any water fowler about quality clothes. I pretty much stick to thinsulate/wool, ultra quiet fleese, and wind stopper lining. I can get into freezing rain, heavy snow, windy, below zero temps ect, which is why I error on the quality side. If I lived in a warmer climate zone, then quality might become another issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need help...input (any thoughts will be appreciated) Reply to Thread

My apologies, just noticed the hunting clothing subtitle....if you wanna move my question into that section
Thx

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
rivers west

you can do better than the browning and cheaper check out rivers west.com.best stuff i ever bought guarranteed waterproof for 10 yrs and if you rip it you get new duds.highly recommend this.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mostly depends on the weather your going to hunt in. I found out pretty fast only the top quality clothing will fill my needs. I do purchase hunting clothes at Cabela's and Bass Pro shops and yes they are expensive. There are times hunting that the clothes are the most important hunting item that you will ever purchase. It all depends on the weather. Ask any water fowler about quality clothes. I pretty much stick to thinsulate/wool, ultra quiet fleese, and wind stopper lining. I can get into freezing rain, heavy snow, windy, below zero temps ect, which is why I error on the quality side. If I lived in a warmer climate zone, then quality might become another issue.
ditto: ditto

I like dry and warm and a hunt is no time to figure out your not prepared. Check the coldest weather in the area you are going to hunt in and buy clothing that is good for that temp. Buy the best quality you can afford it will pay for itself over many years of hard use.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I absolutely agree with HM and the weather conditions. If I lived up north further, I probably would shell out the money to buy more expensive and better quality clothing. Being in north central Missouri, our falls aren't that bad (and here lately been mild). By the time the november rifle season comes along, though, it can get pretty nasty. I have some Nike Pro base layer clothing I wear (kinda like under armor, but I got it on sale!) it works very very well. I used to be in the Army so I wear my brown insulated top and bottoms next, followed with a heavy pair of sweatpants and fleece sweatshirt, then my bibs (insulated of course) and a heavy camo coat on top of that. Hand warmers are a hunters best friend as well!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts