Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I'm planning on trying some gun hunting this upcoming season and, this being my first hunt, I'd really appreciate some tips. As far as the area I plan on trying...consists of about 100 acres with fields, a creek running through the middle and trees/brush on the sides of the fields. I've done some researching and have tried to find some good suggestions on tactics, but it seems there are no basic, simple strategy to follow. From the stuff I've been reading anyway. I've read about rubs, scrapes, trails, water sources and bedding areas and it seems that different people/hunters have different ideas and strategies that they use to get their deer. Just not sure on which end of the strategies I need to start with. I'm planning on gun hunting and gonna try to keep shots under 100 yards if I can. Hands and legs aren't real good due to MS and to be honest, this'll probably be my last hunt before I'm stuck in a chair. I'll have to just watch the outdoor channel after that:smile:
Just hoping to get some tips and suggestions that might help me get a deer before it's to the point that I can no longer hunt, which the docs say will probably be a couple of years from now. I really want to make this hunt a good one and I'm planning on crawling to the spot where I'll be hunting if I have to as I'm bound and determined to make this a good solo hunt. I'd sure appreciate any and all advice on what I should look for as far as set up, whether a trail, water source or whatever.
Thanks a bunch:smile:

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Welcome to the site friend and I'm very sorry to hear about your illness. Keep in mind that there are many programs and outfitters out there that specialize in getting hindered outdoorsman into the field. But a creeks a great place to locate trails in which deer cross and if you can find a trail coming out from a creek and then another trail running along the creek to form an intersection then you are in a great spot. Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would just walk around the creek find the trails that are used the most and set up off from it. A good thing to do is get you a trail camera so you will know if they are using that trail alot, and also you will know the times they are coming through so you will know what time you need to be in the stand in the morning or evening. I would like to say good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look for edges. Where 2 habitat types come together. Follow edges to corners, where 3 habitat types meet. Look for natural buriers, and trails in or on the edge of heavy cover. If you are hunting on only 100 acres during gun season, chances are you will be hunting deer evading other hunters. When deer are trying to save their lives, they are not thinking about where to go to get a drink.
Another thing to look for: if there is flat terrain and any kind of a dip. As little as 2 feet. The deer will generally walk in the low area. I had a 10 pt walking towards me 250 yards away in the middle of a field that was 1/4 mile across and 1/2 mile long. He disappeared. I thought me must have laid down. I saw him again 100 yards away from where I lost him almost to the edge. After I got him I saw the almost imperceptible dip he walked in. From the edge of the field I never knew the dip was there. But he did. And it almost saved his life.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you have ms, my uncle had it and lived well into his 80"s. I might give you something to think about. The shaking may as you are already thinking about, pose a problem using a scoped rifle. If legal in your area, you might be able to shoot a shotgun using 00-000 buckshot. This wouldn't require you to be perfect on your hold and would be for close ranges only, however, it might give you a few additional hunting seasons to enjoy and it would be hunting. Remember, just getting out is a blessed thing, tagging a deer is a bonus. I wish you well and hope you have many more hunting seasons to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
there are a lot of groups that help disabled hunters so check them out.as far as the chair maybe ya can trick it out with 4wheel drive:lol:,seriously you can hunt from a ground blind to conceal your self and use shooting sticks to hold the gun or a bipod,lots of good stuff out there keep with it i hope you have a great year hunting,your more than welcome to sit here with us and ask away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts