Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hunted all kinds of North American Game since 1962 when I got my first gun, a J.C.Higgins bolt action .410 3" chamber. I was 9 years old then and a lot of small game fell to that gun. Thru the years I have owned about 60 differant rifles and shotguns as well as several pistols and Muzzle loaders. I have since settled in to hunting small game with a savage pump (yup a .410 3" using #4's) and two rifles, one for big game and one for fox and coyotes.
MY choice for big game is the .300 Winchester Magnum in a Savage Weather Warrior and a Limb Saver recoil pad with a 3x9x40 Scope. My choice for Fox and Coyotes is a 7.62X54R with 2.5x30 Scout Scope in the model 91/30 with custom bolt and a recoil pad on military wood. Using FMJ rounds it does a nice job. Thru the years I have learned to shoot pretty good and I have also learned that I do not like to chase game down. Within 35 yards or so the .410 with 3" #4's puts the brakes on any rabbit, squirrel or pat I shoot at. The .300 Win Mag puts the brakes on any Deer or Bear I send the 150 grain rounds at as well (Game Kings on Deer and Hot Cores on Black Bear). Now to the 54R, It works great on predators and varmits with selected FMJ military surplus rounds and I can also get in some target practice for a reasonable price too. Everyone has their own favorite calibers and I like these two rifles, as for the shotgun, I have found hunting more fun and do pretty well with the little .410, course I am left out of the waterfowl business with it but for that, I like the Mossberg 920 waterfowl with 3" steel. Anyway these are my hunting weapon interest, I like the Super 30 (.300 H & H) as well but allways seem to use my win mag for deer. For Muzzle Loading I like the .54 and for handgun hunting deer I like the .44 magnum.
Have a Great & Safe New Year!
Richard :smile:

R

·
0 Posts
is the 7.62X54R the same as a 308 win. never really got a handle on the conversions. I do know there are 2, 7.62X somethings both military, i think other than the 54 there is a 59 not sure.

its illegal for us, in nh, to use FMJ for any type of hunting.

welcome to the club from nh.

·
Registered
824 Posts
7.62x54R . . . hmmm . . . that one sounds quite familiar!!! <grin>
Got one in the gun safe and have used it quite effectively on white tails here in TX. Couldn't agree with you more that it makes quite an effective weapon, even if mine only has the original open sights. I have a Moisin-Nagant that's WWII vintage and it's still quite an accurate piece of work. Put a bronze tip through a shoulder of a buck and the exit wound was the size of my fist. (check out the pic in the gallery)

Can't speak for the .300 Win Mag, haven't had the pleasure of shooting one yet.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"I do know there are 2, 7.62X somethings both military, i think other than the 54 there is a 59 not sure."

Okay, from a retired military guy. Two 7.62 rounds, that's correct.

7.62x39 -- That's what's used in the infamous AK-47 that's put quite a few of our boys in the happy hunting grounds. It's now catching on as a popular varmint (2 or 4 legged) here in the states.

7.62x54 -- That's what the Soviets used for their sniper and machine gun rounds. It's too big to fit in our 7.62x51 (aka .308), but they can use our .308's in their rifles. We can't use their rounds, but they can use ours. Kinda sorta ironic, ain't it!?!?!?!?

Just thought I'd set the record straight.

R

·
0 Posts
"I do know there are 2, 7.62X somethings both military, i think other than the 54 there is a 59 not sure."

Okay, from a retired military guy. Two 7.62 rounds, that's correct.

7.62x39 -- That's what's used in the infamous AK-47 that's put quite a few of our boys in the happy hunting grounds. It's now catching on as a popular varmint (2 or 4 legged) here in the states.

7.62x54 -- That's what the Soviets used for their sniper and machine gun rounds. It's too big to fit in our 7.62x51 (aka .308), but they can use our .308's in their rifles. We can't use their rounds, but they can use ours. Kinda sorta ironic, ain't it!?!?!?!?

Just thought I'd set the record straight.
thanks. i got the "9" part right anyway. the '06 is also a 7.62 X something. why can things just be in American talk?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Ronn here's a site I think you and many others will be interested in seeing.

Sammi = The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institutes listing of "Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations"
It's interesting, I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Straight from SAMMI -- (and great website by the way)

Caliber Unsafe Cartridge
30-06 Springfield 7.62x39

Taking into consideration that the 7.62x54 cartridge is almost a full inch and a half longer than the 7.62x39 (and most of that is powder) I would hate to see the results of someone trying to use it in a 30-06.

Not trying to act like I know everything about rifles and 'appropriate' cartridges to use -- BUT -- isn't that why the caliber of the rifle is stamped on the barrel?? It should serve as a warning that only that caliber of cartridges/bullets should be used. Or does this fall into one of those "Darwin Awards"?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I agree rdrader2002, if the barrel is stamped with it's specific caliber
It makes me wonder why anyone would want to try using something else.

R

·
0 Posts
no mater how its measured, got to use the right ammo in the right rifle. but the 30.06 is also call 7.62 match, also .30 cal match, so there are 3 different names for the same round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
7.62X54R is a Russian Rimmed Cartridge that shoots a .310 bullet (sometimes the bores on various mosin Nagant rifles can be .311 to .314) Anyway it is 54mm long and has the power of a rifle between the .308 and the .30-06 rounds. A little fatter cartridge than a .308 and can kick a little hard for target shooting unless you take off the metal butt plate and install a good recoil pad, plenty of surplus ammo around but if you get one of these rifles, have a gun smith check it to make sure it is sound, as like I said it shoots a pretty stout round.
Have Fun but Be Safe First,
Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.300 Winchester Magnum basically is just a .30-06 Magnum. On deer up to 125 to 150 yards it is pretty much a Bang/Flop gun so you need to place your shoot away from the choice meat cuts as the hyper velocity hydraulics will blood shot the impact area. As far as recoil (that seems to be a big concern with this round) the Savage guns seem to do more jumping than recoiling, but it will work good for you to put a Limb Saver recoil pad on it and it becomes no worse than the average 16 or 12 gauge to shoot. Also Winchester Western 150 grain .308 bullets in a power point start out at the muzzel with about 3500 foot pounds of energy and are good for game out to about 400 yards for game weighing up to about 700 to 800 pounds. So for Deer or Black Bear or Big Wild Boar it will do a great job if you place your bullet in the head, neck or front rib area's (unless your my dad and then you will get yelled at for ruining the ribs, lol) I have to say that a great gun for deer hunting that gets overlooked is the Super 30 or known as the .300 H & H Magnum. Less recoil but a flat great shooter up to the 400 yard area. I don't shoot any game much over 200 yards now or in my hunting past, but if YOU can shoot out there at 300 and 400 yards the round can thats for sure. Its hard to find ammo though so if you ever choose this one stock up when you can.
Best Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7.62X54R is a Russian Rimmed Cartridge that shoots a .310 bullet (sometimes the bores on various mosin Nagant rifles can be .311 to .314) Anyway it is 54mm long and has the power of a rifle between the .308 and the .30-06 rounds. A little fatter cartridge than a .308 and can kick a little hard for target shooting unless you take off the metal butt plate and install a good recoil pad, plenty of surplus ammo around but if you get one of these rifles, have a gun smith check it to make sure it is sound, as like I said it shoots a pretty stout round.
Have Fun but Be Safe First,
Richard

·
Registered
820 Posts
The rifle I use is also a mosin nagant 91/30 in 7.62x54r. Mine was made in 1941. Man do I love that gun! Took a doe with it this year and it performed excellent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi WisconsinDeer, yup its a pretty good rifle, especially for the money one can be had for. Its like anything else though, depends on your bullet and bullet placement, but all North American Game can be humanely taken with this caliber. The 203 grain soft points delivers over 2,000 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards and has a taylor knock out factor of 21, since a .243 has a Taylor knock out factor of 10 you can see my point. Deer or Black Bear and I would not hesitate on any Elk either.
Have a Great New Year!
Richard

·
Registered
820 Posts
In about 2 years I should get my black bear kill permit for Wisconsin. I'll see how it performs then, cant wait. I think I got mine for $70 last year.:smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts