Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone could give me a gooood reason why my next deer hunting rifle should be other than a .270 im all ears. In mich. long shots are frequent.I dont think a bigger hit on my shoulder is going to help my accuracy.270 win. is fine. I like.308 rep. for accuracy.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
the .270 cal. is a fine choice, after you've decided on a suitable game caliber that will accomodate your hunting conditions, the rest is all personal preference... I'm a huge fan of the .270 caliber myself...

Good Luck !!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

If its just for deer you should by the 270.Old timers often claim the 270 and a 130 grain is the best whitetail round ever.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
NO complaints here LOVE my .270
Next will be a 30-06 only for more cartridge choices but I already have my .270

·
Registered
591 Posts
I shot a .270 for years. 2 years ago I bought a new rifle....... a .270 :rolleyes:. No need for anything different in a deer rifle for me.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
No argument here on the 270, however there are many great deer getters so just spend some time looking at all your options.

·
Registered
608 Posts
A deer is just as dead with a 30 30 as a 270. Both have and will continue to harvest deer. And as usual it"s a matter of personal choice. Don't you love this country?
daddus1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im a fan of not having to guess exact distance so it makes sence to me to have the flatest shooting round that i can afford and find at any store.Its mostly about shot placement anyways right?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Its always about shot placement no matter what weapon you're using. If you add age as a factor then the 270 might be too much for some youth or older shooters. The 300 sav is a great deer buster, I use one in PA for rifle season The newer rem 260 is coming on strong to the market, 7mm-08 is another likeable round. We've thrown around the 280 rem as possible one of the best mostly overlooked rounds out there. The sky is endless on possibilities it all depends on you and your desires.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A deer is just as dead with a 30 30 as a 270. Both have and will continue to harvest deer. And as usual it"s a matter of personal choice. Don't you love this country?
daddus1
at 75 yards the 30 30 is just as good as the .270 and would be just as dead. but in the first post he mentioned that he often takes long shots, and at 350yards the 30 30 just cant compeet with the .270.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 2 cents on calibers

A couple of questions that only you can answer- and some suggestions

1. What calibers do your hunting/shooting partners shoot?
Can you say reloading! Can you say oh SHI* I forgot my ammo!

2. Are you are shooting only factory ammo?
Then stay with the common ones .308 Win, 270 Win, 30-06.
These are the ones all companies load for and these go onsale at the big stores.

3. Before you buy based on one caliber performs better at long range have you shot at paper over 300 yards away?
Three hundred yards is a LONG way and any of the 3 above perform excellent at it. Most of us really will never or should never pull the trigger on live animals at over 300 yards. The exception is out west, 300yd just doesn't feel the same as it does in the midwest.

Have fun with your choices, you really can't go wrong if you stay with the 270 you initial selection....

Karl

·
Registered
283 Posts
100% accurate on associating the factory ammo to the common calibers. It would be frustrating to buy a less common caliber rifle and forced to order all ammo off the internet. I personally reload for all my calibers and the 25-06 and 7mm-08, and .270 are the 3 best deer calibers IMO...flat and fast. If you are feeding the gun factory ammo then I would stay with the 270, 30-06 or 308 cals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts