Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this wrangler a while back, and I have been working to replace the engine/trans/transfercase, both axles, steering, brakes, suspension and basically every mechanical part on it. It is finally starting to look like a Jeep again. I am hoping to have it done in time for turkey season...but that is only 3 weeks away. It has the small tires on it in these pics, but when it is done it will get some 40" tires.

Here's the before pic...

And as it sits today...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That looks like a great project. What motor are you going to put in it? There is nothing better than a jeep for getting around in the woods. I sold my 73 CJ5 with the 232 straight six last year and I sure do miss it. I bought it in 1980 and kept it 28 years. I replaced it with the 1984 Bronco that I restored for hunting. Now I'm thinking I am goning to sell the Bronco, I just don't need the mud wagons like I used to.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that the jeep actually looks worse in each of those pics...well maybe it does, but when it is done it will be a nice rig. It will have ~70 more horse power, fuel injection, automatic trans, more reliable all around. Also will have the one ton axles with some big 'ol tires.:yes: Should be able to get to them deer in the canyon now. Always before I had to take the 4 wheeler to get them out of there. That is a real pain trying to balance a dead deer on the rack of a 4 wheeler while driving over rough ground and up and down canyon walls. I have had some exciting adventures late at night with this setup.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a soft top on that bronco?? Sweet...

I put a 4.0L Jeep motor in this jeep. I pulled the motor out of my previous wheeling rig and jeep cherokee. This motor is much better than the old 4.2L that was in it mainly because of the fuel injection.

I also picked up a free 454 the other day that may someday find its way into this jeep...but I plan on running the jeep motor for a while first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to need something like this for my next trip. How much do these go for?

That looks like a great project. What motor are you going to put in it? There is nothing better than a jeep for getting around in the woods. I sold my 73 CJ5 with the 232 straight six last year and I sure do miss it. I bought it in 1980 car and kept it 28 years. I replaced it with the 1984 Bronco that I restored for hunting. Now I'm thinking I am goning to sell the Bronco tire, I just don't need the mud wagons like I used to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts