Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come into some money and am going to spoil myself alittle. lol. (wife gets the rest $$$ lmao) was looking at custom rifles. And they are pretty pricey. Also was looking at maybe having some work done to a rifle i already have. I have a Ruger M77 in .270 win. was maybe looking to put a Schilen or Kreiger barrel and a nice stock that would be bedded so i have a floating barrel. My biggest thing i am wondering about is --- is the Ruger M77 worth doing that with? i see alot of the custom gun companies are using Rem 700 actions. Have asked this question on a couple of different forums and have yet to get an answer. figured i could use a rifle i already have and only spend about 1/2 or so what a custom rifle would be.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've owned several Ruger bolt guns and still have at least 5 now. I really like Ruger 77s and feel they have the best scope mounting system out there, without a doubt. Depending on what cartridge you were looking to have/make I'd see no reason to not go with the 77 action. I have heard that not all gunsmiths like to work on 77s, but if it was my rifle, I'd likely want the barrel maker to also mount the barrel anyway.

Not sure if you are looking for a fine walnut stock to finish your build or a synthetic one. If it's walnut (or similar) I would first look to Accurate Innovations to stock the barreled action. Their stocks have an inletted aluminum bedding foundation built into them with free-floated barrel channel and have several options regarding walnut grades and checkering as well.

I'm thinking that Ruger could be made into a very fine personal custom for you!

·
Registered
608 Posts
kempster,
A lot of us wish we had your problem, what to spend extra money on but I think you have received good advice. Please let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for sharing.
daddus

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Definitely do the M77 I may be biased as I am in Ruger country, & most of my family works or has worked for Ruger
I would love to see it finished as my fav. gun is my M77 2 of a kind .270

·
Registered
852 Posts
How about another idea. 4 easy parts....

Have you considered getting one of the new Ruger M77 Hawkeyes in whatever caliber gets your blood going(part one). Find a good gunsmith that will just refinish the stock to a prettier oil finish(part two). Take the money you have saved and spend it on a quality scope(part three). Now enjoy it for the rest of your life(part four).

Karl

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Not a big Ruger rifle fan. I'd spend my money on a semi custom rig with nice walnut stock. I'm a wood person and don't care for the plastics/fiberglass ect. The custom shops at Winchester, Browning, Remington have some really nice rifles in the $1000.00-$1700.00 range. These are great looking rifles as well as more accurate than the shooter will ever be. I'm not into building parts guns so the post is biased to that extent. The most inaccurate rifle I ever tried to sight in was a Ruger 77 that a co-worker still has. After the Browning X-bolt 325 wsm arrives I''l see how accurate it is as a factory standard production rifle and give a report on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts