Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and hopefully I won't stir up too much controversy. I am currently living in southeast Georgia around Moody AFB, just to give you an idea of the terrain I will be hunting. I have always wanted to hunt with a muzzleloader, but have been scared to pay too much for one that didn't do the job. I still don't want to pay too much for one, but I would like to know of the many out there, which are the best bang for the buck. Also a side note: Does anyone know if they make a youth model?

v/r
John

R

·
0 Posts
welcome from nh. you're going to get a ton of preferences. I like my savage ml 10, t/c makes a wide choice. I personally have the savage ranked # 1 for me, a t/c renegade side lock in 54 good gun, and a cva 150 magnum. I will probably never spend money on another cva, i dislike it that much. one other thing to keep in mind, you generally get what you pay for. good hunting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good Deals On Muzzleloaders...

John;

Knight Rifles succumbed to the economy earlier this year, and shut down their operation. Right now there are some great deals on some of their top end models...as much as 40- to 50-percent off of their original retail price.

I have one of their Long Range Hunter models that now has right at 6,400 rounds through it...and one of their older MK-85 models that also has 6,000+ rounds through it. And they both perform and shoot beautifully.

Each of these rifles have about 6 typical lifetimes of shooting through them. You won't wear one out in your lifetime...and they perform excellently on big game.

I heard that Cabela's had some great closeouts on some of the Knight models...might be a great place to start looking.

Toby Bridges

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont gadawg31, welcome to the club..
Ronn's right you're probably going to get a wide list of what others use and prefer.
I use a Traditions Pursuit LT Break-Open in full mossy oak break up camo. Traditions Won Filed and Streams Best of the Best Award for 2008.
I'm not saying my Traditions muzzleloader is better than any of the others but based on Performance, durability and design you're going to pay a LOT more on the Competitors Muzzleloaders.
Which Ever you choose, Good Luck and happy safe hunting...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree.Savage makes a great muzzle loader,Bruce,I had the same gun you have and loved it.I now have the Knight KP1.Why?I don't really have a real preference,but I have owned several Knights and really liked them.Everyone is going to have an answer about the one they like,but it will come down to what feels best and the one you like.And of course$$.Good luck,muzzle loading season is my favorite.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. I like T/C products. They're higher in cost but you get it in the resale end if you decide to sell one later. I think Knight rifles were also quality products. I also am not a CVA person. I don't own Traditions or Savage muzzleloaders. I do enjoy shooting flintlocks.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
well I can't say CVA is best but unlike Ronn I have had very good luck with my 150 Hunter Magnum. I am no Donald Trump no where near I generally have to go with the less expensive weapons & it has served me very well. don't take the Donald Trump thing the wrong way what I am saying is that when it comes down to the "hobbies" I just don't have a lot of extra cash for some of the toys I would like.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i guss the best advice i can give on this one is that there are alot of nice ones out there and some not so nice ones. go to a reputible local gun shop and get the one that seuts you best. chances are you wont go wrong unless you end up buying it from the sporting goods dept. at your local walmart.:whistling:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
i guss the best advice i can give on this one is that there are alot of nice ones out there and some not so nice ones. go to a reputible local gun shop and get the one that seuts you best. chances are you wont go wrong unless you end up buying it from the sporting goods dept. at your local walmart.:whistling:
I don't know what your local wal-mart sells but my local wal-mart sells Knight (if they have any left),
Thompson Center Arms, CVA and Traditions muzzleloaders.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of those brands.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
youl have to forgive me. had a verry bad experiance buying a gun off of walmart and would not recomend them to any one for any reason no matter what brand they sell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found you can find some pretty nice muzzleloaders at your local pawn shop since each year they come out with new and better technology, that alot of last years models end up at the pawn shop. Just be careful an look the gun over real good, one pawn shop I buy guns from will let you shoot them first before you buy it not all will do this though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would do like some of these guys suggest check your local gun shop. Maybe you can get a great deal on a used gun or a closeout. My first ML was used and served me well until I knew I liked hunting with the ML. Good Luck and buy what you think is best for you.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Stopped at a garage sale yesterday and for $8 got a bag of muzzleloading equipment. #11 Capper, brass powder measure, CVA spring loaded see through powder holder, a see through powder/bullet/ starting device, 3 quick loaders, wood/brass TC loading tool, 54 cal maxi hunter bullets, bottle of Flitz gun wax, 200 small pistol primers and caper. Felt a little like early Christmas:pickle:

·
Registered
17 Posts
i will never buy anything but t/c again they are the best on the market i have the encore but if you dont want to pay that much you can get the t/c omega for around 3.00 hundred and thats about what you will pay for any ml

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like Thompson Center Firearms. There return policy and customer service is great however given there quality you will not have to go there. A Triumph or Omega are keeper guns. As mentioned you will pay more. There accuracy can be outstanding. The Encore, Prohunter are upper crust in price/accuracy. Many like them for the flexibility of barrel changing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and hopefully I won't stir up too much controversy. I am currently living in southeast Georgia around Moody AFB, just to give you an idea of the terrain I will be hunting. I have always wanted to hunt with a muzzleloader, but have been scared to pay too much for one that didn't do the job. I still don't want to pay too much for one, but I would like to know of the many out there, which are the best bang for the buck. Also a side note: Does anyone know if they make a youth model?

v/r
John
welcome to the club john i like t/c muzzleloaders but if you dont want to pay that much you can buy a traditions pursuit its a great gun hunted with one for 5 years and it never let me down another great gun is rossi both for around 200.00 but for around 300.00 you can buy t/c omega good luck and happy hunting

1 - 20 of 36 Posts