Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a new rifle and i have a choice to get the mosin nagant m44, remington model 710 .270, or remington model 770 30.06. most of the shots im taking are 50-150 yards. i heard alot of good stuff about the m44 but i need some suggestions.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Is there any way for you to get your hands on a Marlin XL7 in 30-06 or a Stevens 200 in 30-06? I'd take those before one of Remingtons cheaper rifles. A Mosin in original configuration doesn't make that "great" of a deer rifle...if they're customized they do, but I don't approve of sporterizing an M44 or any Mosin Nagant carbine. They're accurate enough but the sights, trigger and safety are lacking. An M44 also weighs like 9lbs with the bayonet.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Your choices, why only those 3 options

I could think of 4 or 5 new rifles that are better then the Remington 710/770 series for the same price. The M44 is a cheap WW2 warhorse that is very durable. If you make it to a gunshow I would expect that you could find something modern for only a little more than the M44. That used rifle would be compatible with standard scope mounting.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
The Rem 770 is a deal at that price..

The Model 770 is an improved 710 so I would go with that one. Sorry I thought you were looking at a store where you would have had to pay 300.xx for one of the Remingtons.

Karl

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
for 100 dollars the Rem. 770 is your best investment, you can resell it later if you decide to get something else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the 91/30 is hella long. found that out today when i finally spotted a buck, but i missed, my aim sucks :( but it's pretty much been determined that the carbines are less adequate for hunting because of their lack of accuracy. unfortunately, as you mentioned, the 91/30's are hella long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.