Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay maybe not mayhem but they destroyed a 25 lb block in about 3 weeks is that normal... well i put out a 50 lb block and the trail cam so hopefully i can get some idea of whats around there they have dug a 12-15 in hole around the block.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I would say that you have a lot of deer in your area and they need those minerals...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
everybody loves those things .when it was legal i put them out and the bears and the porcupines destroyed them before the deer

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do yall think it would be wise to keep putting them out them or just letting them fend for themselves i mean do you think that it would be unhealthy for the animals i dont want them to over eat or anything like that ive heard that sometimes that stuff like that can cause overeating and sickness within a herd?? any thoughts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That looks like a trophy rock or something similar and I have never heard that they can get to much. I think there can be problems with piles of corn or something like that but not a salt rock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was probably corn that i heard too. it is a trophy rock but i was looking at ingredients and i think that regular livestock blocks are just as good i may try one of those and see how it works any suggestions. the livestock ones are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the trophy rock can concentrate them in the one spot which isnt healthy a better alternative is to use the powdered mix that you add to the ground.whitetail institute sells it by the bag

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
it was probably corn that i heard too. it is a trophy rock but i was looking at ingredients and i think that regular livestock blocks are just as good i may try one of those and see how it works any suggestions. the livestock ones are a lot cheaper.
I think that a livestock block would do just as good....or just try it out and see what happens...I know for a fact that the deer in my area use our cattle's block well they only use the Trace Mineral block

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
using Blocks for wildlife is really a bad idea. All diseases can be spread thru Saliva. sharing foods especially salt/mineral blocks is the one thing you want to try to avoid. without going into a lot of detail about CWD, Chronic wasting disease is the one disease you dont want your deer to get CWD is similar to mad cow disease or Bovine Spongiform Encepholopathy (BSE) just ask any farmer how serious BSE is. If states keep allowing blocks to be used in their woods they're only playing roulette with their wildlife. BUT if it's legal in your area and you can use it then by all means use it as you please because if anything happens you're only hurting your own hunting areas because if your area becomes infected with CWD, CWD stems from prions.

Prions are NOT DESTROYED by fire, nor by freezing, nor by disinfectants, nor by operating room sterilization procedures, nor by incineration, nor by intense radiation.
In fact, scientists and government agencies HAVE NOT FOUND ANY WAY TO DESTROY THEM!!

Do you want to risk bringing them into your hunting area???

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeese bruce dont worry about making me feel like a killer or anything. i was just trying to help and you comeout with that... it is a great thought though and i will give it the utmost consideration and will probably change my tactic so that these things dont happen. well at least if they do it wont be my fault.

PS the trail cam pics are in and i have to get a chance to get them on here nothing spectacular just a few does walking around probably the same three i saw late season.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
thats why i suggested the powdered stuff its a larger area check it out Whitetail Institute

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will probably try that but should i leave the block out there and then just put powder down. i dont wanna waste the money i could break the block up into small pieces would that work??

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
jeese bruce dont worry about making me feel like a killer or anything. i was just trying to help and you comeout with that... it is a great thought though and i will give it the utmost consideration and will probably change my tactic so that these things dont happen. well at least if they do it wont be my fault.

I didn't post it to cause bad feelings, I could have easily typed a lot more and beat around the bush to get to the point but it wouldn't have made a differnce to the point I was trying to help you understand. My post was only meant to help and inform you nothing else. :thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no hard feelings man i was just kidding. but what do you think i should do with the blocks that are out there now can i break them to small pieces??

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Yup that's what I would do. make a scattered trail right to the front of your trail cams. :)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
break em up and scatter them around.the problem is the deer touching noses at the feed sites

1 - 17 of 17 Posts