Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, was just wondering if any of you guys own or have used a Marline 1894 .357 and what your pros and cons about it. I'm thinking of another gun but haven't decided yet. If you own one please let me now what you think about the gun. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
my experience with the 357 marlin

I had alot of fun shooting one probibly 25 years ago. They are a fun rifle to shoot. I don't think it would be my top choice for a deer rifle. A 30-30 or even a 44mag hit a lot harder. But if you just want to have fun making pop cans dance the 357 marlin would be a great choice.

Karl

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karl!! I have a 30/30 Marline that I hunt with, but the rounds are kind of expensive to shoot for fun. I might look into getting a 7.62x39 round. I can get them at 15 cents/round compared too 72 cents/round for the 30/30. Thanks again!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just to make this clear its Marlin, not Marline. :) The Marlin 1894 is a nice rifle that would be good for plinking. .357 is cheap to reload for. I thought about getting an 1894 in 44mag for deer but I ended up going with a Ruger 77/44, which is also an awesome rifle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know WD. Heard a guy say it as mar-line so have always said it that way or fun.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 waaaay back in the late '70's. Was stationed at Fort Lewis, Wa. at the time. About the time I picked up the pistol, I happened to see a .357 Rifle (can't remember the make/model) in the same gun shop. Held it, shouldered it, and boy did it feel sweet. Am still kicking myself to this day for not buying it.
Agree with Karl that .30/30 is a better round for hunting deer, but also agree that the .357 would be awful fun to shoot. Have a M1 .30 cal Carbine that I use for fun. It's my "varmint" gun -- 2 or 4 legged varmints that is. <grin>

·
Registered
799 Posts
I had an 1894 in .44 mag.
being chambered for the .44 gave it cheap power and was a gun you could plink out to a 100 yds with all day long without costing you your wallet. the Marlin .444 would give you that ability and then some.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The 444 is one rifle that I sold and now wish I had back. The marlin 444 values have had a steady climb for several years. Another stupid mistake was selling a Win 94 in 375 cal. I wasn't very bright in either of these two sales. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I always wondered....44mag in a 444 Marlin

Ok I think that I know the answer to this one, but here goes. If it was ok to fire various length cartridges in the single shot Sharps rifles because they were for the most part straight wall cases, get ready for this how about firing a 44 mag case in a Marlin 444. If I am not mistaken which I could be and I don't have my reloading manuals here at work to verify the case head diamentions I alway thought they were the same. It is fine to fire 45 schofield in 45 long colt chambers. Same with 38 special in a 357 mag chamber. I would expect that the chamber on the 444 would get dirty firing the 44 mag but wouldn't it work? After firing some I would not be suprised if 444 Marlins didn't want to chamber prior to it being scrubbed clean. What does the group think?

Karl

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Karl, I don't have a clue. You guys that reload should have some idea?? I do know the 444 is an awesome old time hunting round! Man, I miss those two rifles now! The 375 win is like a baby brother to the 444.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A .357 cal. rifle can chamber a .38 round because the .38 round is a bit shorter than the .357 cal.(the .38 round is actually a .357:confused: just shorter.)
The .444 Marlin round is about an inch longer than the .44 magnum.
The base diameter on the .444 is .0136 bigger than the .44 mag. but other than that they are about the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts