Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say to everyone be careful of the ticks this year while hunting or otherwise. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a month ago and it has been hell. Yall take care and use caution!

·
Registered
562 Posts
:goodposting: Thanks for the reminder VA hunter. That's good advice. Hope you get to feeling better.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Just wanted to say to everyone be careful of the ticks this year while hunting or otherwise. I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a month ago and it has been hell. Yall take care and use caution!

Yes thank you for the reminder and I hope you're felling better now.
When you are felling well enough can you give us some info as to how it's affected you.
What were the Signs/Symptoms? How are you being treated? is the Recovery time long?
Any info you share may help others. Thank you and Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Lyme disease knocked the heck out of my buddy in PA this year. He didn't know he had it and by then it had hit him hard. Talked to him last week and he is just now feeling slightly better. I've posted before, I'm very concerned about archery hunting this year in PA, as my cardio doc says not to ever get a nasty virus that can further damage the heart valve. Right now I could use additional info regarding the damage this disease can do. I've read general information like the rash, then joint aches, pains then neuro issues. :confused: Oh, sorry to hear you got it and hope for a full quick recovery.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
That stinks. Hope your getting better now.

I now check myself for ticks anytime I have been out in the woods. Its the ones that hide in your hair that I think will get me for lyme disease. They seem the hardest to find for me.

·
Registered
799 Posts
That stinks. Hope your getting better now.

I now check myself for ticks anytime I have been out in the woods. Its the ones that hide in your hair that I think will get me for lyme disease. They seem the hardest to find for me.
Yeah, I guess I will have to check my head better now as they may actually be able to reach skin,(used to look like Nugent in his hey day). Or I could shave it and make discovery a lot easier, though I hate the thought of the late season hunts.

I haven't seen the first tick yet this year and I am surprised at that. Last year in early summer they were all over the place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes. The thing with me was that i never had the bulls eye rash that is associated with Lyme. My doctor said that now only about 50% of the time a rash occurs. Mine started with the feeling that I was coming down with a cold and then one Sunday morning I couldn't get out of bed! It seemed that my back and both of my knees were almost frozen and any movement hurt like crazy. After that I went to the doc and they ran the test. I took 5 days to get results and during that time it felt as if I had been in a car wreck. Then the tiredness and fatigue set in. I had no energy to do anything and the more I slept the more it felt like I needed more. I have been on meds for 3 weeks and besides the pain being less I still fell about the same. My doctor said that it could take months and several rounds of meds to overcome. I will tell more later. Again thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry to hear that, i worry about that a lot here in southern illinois, the primary season for them (ticks) here is may and june but caution never hurt anyone, best wishes for you and hope you recover quick

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't hesitate to get to the doctor with these symptons.My friend who owns the land I hunt on contracted Lyme several years ago in PA.He helped another hunter skin a doe that had ticks. Months later he got wet and cold and came down with a fever.His left knee swelled to double its size.He spent 3 weeks in Hershey Medical Center undergoing alot of tests.He was on many pills and all his joints hurt.It took a year of exercise to regain partial use of his left leg and another year to walk without a cane.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good News

Here are some facts about Lyme Disease:

1. Lyme Disease is spread by ONLY the Blacklegged Tick (deer tick).

2. Transmission is very slow. Often a tick removed within 48 hours will not give you Lyme Disease.

3. The tests for Lyme Disease are actually very poor and are tons of false positives (cases are actually thought to be about 50% lower than reported). However, almost ALL tick born diseases have the same signs and symptons. Doxcylene can be prescribed and will treat almost all of these diseases.

4. Bullseye rash is shown in about 80% of cases ( of Lyme Disease;similiar feeling diseases don't have the same kind of rash because the bacteria aren't of the same type). The rash is made up of the center (bite) point and the outer ring. The outer ring is actually the spiral bacteria moving out from the center through the connective tissue and the muscle tissue.

5. As far as TN (my state) goes, the reported cases of Lyme Disease (even diagnosed by doctor ones) happen at a time when the Blacklegged Tick isn't active. In TN the BLTick is more commonly active in the spring and late fall. However, most cases of disease are reported during summer months. This means that most cases are more likely allergic reactions or other types of disease. In TN the main disease to worry about is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

No matter what the diagnosis though, if you are feeling ill, GO to the DOCTOR. However, if you run into a cases where you get a blacklegged tick, preserve it when you pull it off just in case you feel bad afterward.

Also: I have a lot of information on wildlife in PowerPoint Slides, is there a way I can load a lot of the lectures I have on to this site?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The ticks in PA have a red abdomen, i assume those are deer ticks and the carriers of Lyme disease. I had one of my labs at the vet last week for a tick bite reaction, he (vet) told me to take antibotics a week prior to my PA hunt just to be protected.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Antibiotics might not be a bad precursor before your hunt because it can keep some possible infections down. However, bites from ticks like the Lonestar Tick can actually cause allergic reactions without there being any actualy bacteria infections.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes thank you for the reminder and I hope you're felling better now.
When you are felling well enough can you give us some info as to how it's affected you.
What were the Signs/Symptoms? How are you being treated? is the Recovery time long?
Any info you share may help others. Thank you and Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
X2

Get well soon!

If you don't mind I too would like to know sign, symptoms and anything else. All I know is you get it from tick bites?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Signs and Systems

The most obvious ign is the bullseye type rash but according to the most recent studies this only occur in 50% of the infections. I myself did not have the rash. I felt like I was coming down with the flu and then one day i could not get out of bed because of my joints aching so bad which is the next stage. After 21 days of intense antibiotics and other 2 weeks of recouperation i am finally starting to feel better but the doc says it could take months to really get over it. Anyway, Everyone keep this in mind and stay tick free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts