Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to muzzleloader hunting but tried it out last weekend after getting a new gun for a gift. Is it common for the sabot to fall out of the gun when pointing the muzzle downward? I am using powder pellets as I am a beginner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a .50 cal and bought a starter kit from Cabella's that was marked as such. I guess I will be going in to Gander Friday afternoon to check that I was sold the correct thing. I thought this was very odd as well. Thank you all for your replies and any additional tips.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
The only thing I can guess if everything is the correct size (50 cal ML and 50 cal ammo) is did you put the plastic jacket underneath the bullet before you put it in the barrel?

Some ammo for ML's come in 2 parts. You have the sabot and then you have the plastic jacket that the bullet fits into.

Even if its the ammo that has the jackets already attached (like powerbelts) it would be too tight a fit to fall back out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I think that solved it, the sabots didn't come with the jackets. the crazy thing is before going out with the gun I talked with a couple friends and even had one "expert" walk me through loading in the store two weeks prior. Never any mention of the plastic jacket. Thank you all for your help. Should be a cold weekend in the wood as temps have finally dipped and dipped hard high of 22 for Saturday.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
the crazy thing is before going out with the gun I talked with a couple friends and even had one "expert" walk me through loading in the store two weeks prior. Never any mention of the plastic jacket.
"Expert" at what? making hunting Videos? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sabots

You guys have me all confused. What is the difference between, plastic jacket and sabot? All I have ever used is a bullet inserted into a sabot and then loaded into the barrel. No plastic jacket! Only 4 things make a load, powder,sabot, bullet and primer. Never heard of a plastic jacket.

Please clarify before I blow myself up.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
You guys have me all confused. What is the difference between, plastic jacket and sabot? All I have ever used is a bullet inserted into a sabot and then loaded into the barrel. No plastic jacket! Only 4 things make a load, powder,sabot, bullet and primer. Never heard of a plastic jacket.

Please clarify before I blow myself up.
some say tomato some say tomoto, plastic jacket, sabot both are the same

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Just like wmi said.. I used word plastic jacket because a newer muzzleloader hunter that didnt know what sabot meant would definitly be able to relate plastic jacket to a plastic looking piece that fits on bottom of bullet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts